Replacing a Euro Lock

Thinking about replacing our normal euro lock (in uPVC French doors) with a snapsafe version. Looking on the web it seems you only have to remove the one screw which holds the lock in place. However, when the locksmith who fitted the existing locks (after being burgled), he removed all the flat brass bars which are on the side of the doors!

Has anyone recently removed a "euro lock"? Is it just a case of removing screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock out?

Reply to
diy-newby

and then pulling the lock out?

Yes.

Reply to
dom

Hi i recently fitted 5 doors worth of these as part of a conservatory project - just as you describe - no great shakes takes couple of minutes - unless your locksmith did something odd?

Was he maybe checking the burglars didn't knackr the shoot bolts, cams etc? As i recall you can adjust the "throw" of the shoot bolts by removing cover bars and adjusting the alignment of toothed bars found underneath; also you can grease parts of the mechansim here too...

Or maybe he was a "rogue trader" type who charged by the hour?! :>)

Take the old one out and measure it lengthways from "front" to the tab and then from tab to the "back" then refit it. Find & order your replacements to suit - there are quite a few variations to suit various door thicknesses and specs - you need the same length cylinder with the same tab position for it to work properly in your door:-

here's a few for eg:-

it helps Jim

Reply to
jim

Thanks, probably getting a couple from Screwfix, as they have the snapsafe variants. Just need to try and get two with the same keys!!!

Reply to
diy-newby

WHen you replace it, you will need to get one with the same dimensions each side of the cam.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd try a local locksmith or security centre myself. We have a good one locally and apart from excellent advice they are usually cheaper the even Screwfix.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On my house it was simply a case of removing a single screw. OTOH, occasionally the hole into which the cylinder has to slide is a tight fit and not quite straight, so perhaps that might be a reason for taking off the bars sometimes, so that the lock can be guided into place.

If you're looking for a supplier that stocks a wide range of sizes, how about

reckon having the external cylinder exactly flush with the handle's backplate rather than sticking out a bit might discourage a burglar from even trying to snap the lock, so having a wide range of sizes to choose from is a good thing.

Reply to
Onlooker

Go to a proper locksmith - they will be able to make up anthing you want and help you with the correct sizing

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I reckon having the external cylinder exactly flush with the handle's

Thanks to all who replied. The master door is simply a case of removing the single screw, aligning the cam with the key then removing. The slave door also has the locks/latch bars down the edge so these need removing first. Removed the master door and it's 80mm (40/40 split). Cheapest I can find are around £32 each for the Squire snapsafe ones.

Reply to
diy-newby

If you search for snap safe ( two words ) on Ebay they do Squires for £24-50 though there is an "Make Offer" option too. They claim to do all sizes.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Cheers for the tip, I had already seen that one. I emailed him last night asking if he had two which had the same keys and he didn't. Looks like I may struggle to get two locks that use the same key.

Reply to
diy-newby

Rather than mucking about trying to get a deal off Ebay you need to go to a proper locksmith who can make up the cylinders to use the same key - the magic words are 'keyed alike' or 'keyed to pass.'

The CIA Alarms link given by another poster would work for you - they're selling the Garrison cylinders I have at home. I quite like the Garrison and Mul-T-Lock type because the keys have no sharp edges, and they're an unusual blank with reasonable control over the cutting of spares.

The Chubb M3 cylinder is possibly a more secure design, but in practical terms it doesn't make much odds - a thief isn't going to be trying to pick your locks.

Chubb cylinders explained at

bought my Garrisons from Tower Security in London

Note that if you have other locks that use a different type of cylinder (oval, or rim/Yale), you can get these made to the same key as well

John

Reply to
john.sabine

> I bought my Garrisons from Tower Security in London

I have tried several local to me locksmiths. These are not retail premises and only do supply and fit. Given he was going to charge £40 to fit the lock I said no thanks. I have been looking at CIA Alarms and other net companies. One of the guys I spoke to told me to stay clear of the Squire Snapsafe cylinders as these are not that great, the Mul-T-Lock is the better option in his opinion..

Reply to
diy-newby

So which ines are the most proof against 'bumping'.

Reply to
<me9

Have been told again since posting that the Mul-T-lock (Break Secure) are the better choice.

Reply to
diy-newby