Replacing a concrete lintel

I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out, as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

Reply to
Steve

HSS do hammer-in props for hire

Reply to
Steve Walker

If the block work has no weight on it ie supporting the roof, then it will support itself.

Dave Jones

Reply to
Dave Jones

The garage is a semi-detached garage with a load bearing centre blockwork wall, therefore the weight about the lintel is derived from @ 4-5m (at highest point) decreasing over the length of the lintel. There are 2 lintels, one for the inner blockwork and one for the outer stone work.

Is it feasible to replace (or leave in place which ever is the easiest) both of these lintels with a Catnic CG50/100 Open Back Lintel?

Reply to
Steve

Usually.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

================== I think it would be very dangerous to work under the unsupported blockwork, bearing in ming that there is going to be quite a bit of banging and hammering going on to remove the old lintel.

The correct method would be to knock out one or two blocks above the lintel. Then insert a piece of 4" x 3" timber (called 'needles') through each of the holes just made and support each end of the 'needles' on an acrow prop. If you can't get access to both sides of the lintel to get the needles in then you can use ' strongboys' which can be used from one side only. Have a look at:

for pictures of 'strongboys' but note that the picture shown doesn't show the correct use - they should be inserted into holes above the lintel.

Bear in mind that the lintel (concrete - about 8' wide) will be very heavy so you'll need help to remove it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Assuming the joints are full, bond is correct,no cracks or other voids, no other differential load spreading caused by nearby opening, and that each end of the supported blockwork can withstand the outward thrust.

However, in this case it appears that a mono-pitched gable is being supported and so the blockwork will not be self supporting.

It may be cheaper to demolish and rebuild such a gable as opposed to messing about trying to support it.

dg

Reply to
dg