Replacing a ceramic hob.

I have a cooker with a ceramic hob. It has cracked on two rings, and I'd like to replace it. (well, well out of warranty) Is there a source of the ceramic? It's some 6mm thick, and around 450mm*450mm. I can handle trimming sheets with a diamond saw.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I suspect you are stuffed. Aren't the heating elements built into the top? You might try Symonds Cableform for high temperature ceramic adhesives to fill the cracks.

Reply to
OldScrawn

You buy the corect part from teh stove manufacturer. Its usually a relatively simple job tpo replace. The parts are expensive. Expect 200 quid plus.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Better off throwing it away and buying a decent hob.

Reply to
Huge

don't know about yours but our ceramic top is covered for damage under our house insurance

Reply to
Frank

At that price, you would be. I bought a gas hob (ex display) from Currys (don't laugh) a couple of years ago for "temporary" use in my place in Italy. Cost me £60, and is working problem free to this day. In the meantime younger daughter has been through three ceramic hobs of various makes. (Electrolux and "proline" are two of the makes) they appear to be unreliable shit and they look as ugly as f*ck as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They're crap for cooking on, too. So that's 0/3.

Reply to
Huge

Steve Firth wrote: three ceramic hobs of various

Functionality aside, I can't see how a flat sheet of glass is "ugly". Gas hobs however, are definitely ugly :) I don't like gas hobs at all, so that's clearly a biased view :)

It's obvious that ceramic hobs are unlikely to be as reliable as a gas hob, but our (halogen) ceramic hob is just over 4 years old and is still working just fine. Yes it does get used daily :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

It's in a cooker, so it's moderately expensive to replace. Spares are not available, it's a fairly old model.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

An even better reason to chuck it out, then.

Reply to
Huge

Err, flat sheet of glass with crappy screenprinting and a lip at the edge to catch spills and turn them into a gunge that can never be cleaned off. How can it be anything other than ugly? A ceramic hob has about as much style as an Amstrad music centre.

You are obviously challenged in the sense of design appreciation.

Four years without having a decent meal, I pity you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

(fx: does sums on fingers)

15 years of using ceramic hobs without a single fault. They are not really any different from other forms of electric hob. I accept gas is superior for controllability and heat output (although I always find most of the sods go out far too easily on the lowest setting).
Reply to
John Laird

Lol, no argument there since I suspect I would have no desire to to consume the type of meal you refer to :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I had a belling format. Was probably 5 years old or more when I got it with teh house, did anoher 7, with one ceramic top replacement. (inlaws dropped a le-creuset pot on it I think.)

Eventualy most of the rings started gong flakey, and I have replaced it with another format I got SH for 100 quid.

These are good cokkers, and last as long as any other electric. The big issue is you pay for the easy to clean tops, both in capital cost and if you smack something heavy on them and crack them.

But they are as good or vbetter than any other lectric. I'd have gas if I had gas. But I don't. And LPG cylinders are too impractical.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are as good as any electric, and better than most.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try local tip. You would be surprised.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's not saying a lot is it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh goody, you'r going to buy me a new one then?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | But they are as good or vbetter than any other lectric. I'd have | gas if I had gas. But I don't. And LPG cylinders are too impractical.

Induction? Or Aga ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Its syaing enough. If gas is not an otion, ceramoc hobs are probabaly the next best thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher