Replacing a ceiling

Following a flat roof leak, I have a soggy ceiling with a big split in it. Now that the roof is being fixed, I'm going to have a bash at the ceiling myself: It's only about 2 metres each way, so what could possibly go wrong? (!)

I'm going to tear it down tomorrow and leave it for a week for everything to dry properly. In replacing, I want to take the opportunity to put some insulation in there. Now, I understand that it's best to use foil-backed plasterboard to control vapour but I can't find plasterboard with both a foil back and a tapered edge.

So...What's the best thing to do? Use foil backed square edge, which will either need skimming or a bit of luck to get a good finish, or use tapered edge and stick some foil on the back? The latter sounds attractive but I might be missing something - like what's the best way of sticking foil to plasterboard?

Any suggestions welcome!

Reply to
GMM

I have no comment to make about the plasterboard, however if you have any electric cables in the roof space then have a look at

make sure the insulaton will not affect their performance.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think any of the above sound doable. PVA glues both ali and paper. I have also used square edge and only filled it before, and got a satisfactory result, the main downside is that you cant then use reinforcing mesh tape across the gap, so cracks are more likely to occur. Such cracks are easily fixed with a finger and a little filler.

Polythene is an inferior sub for ali foil. It doesnt last well, and although its waterproof it isnt vapour proof, just vapour resistant to a fair extent.

With a dead man and small 9mm boards you should have little problem.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The traditional method is under some concrete in the basement.

Reply to
Bartc

Is that why the milk leaks out of all my polythene bottles then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you can fill ok, you should be fine.

Reply to
Tabby

its not hard to cut boards to fit before offering them up. Just measure the space properly, pencil it on the board and cut with a knife. That always needs doing.

eithe use a ruler, or mark the straight edge with a bit of timber & cut freehand

look where youre going, dont get careless. Damage can be filled anyway.

Doesnt matter, filler covers all.

its not hard.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

why use foil to 'control' (condense?) vapour?

kitchens are all about ventilation

surely you'll be creating a damp problem

--

Gill Smith

into a colder space, and condensing there. Ventilation from the kitchen should be to the outside, by means of windows or an extractor, not into a cold roof space, where it will promote rot.

That's why ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

thanks for the info

I too have a kitchen ceiling to repair

--

Gill Smith

above it (as opposed to another floor of your house).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster