Replacement worktop

We're replacing a 38mm thick laminate worktop with 30mm quartz.

There would appear to be three options for accounting for the 8mm difference in thickness:

1 - jack the legs up under the carcasses by 8mm. I'm pretty sure this won't work as there isn't 8mm of adjustment in the legs and the carcasses are screwed to the wall.

2 - insert 8mm (MDF?) packing between the carcasses and the new worktop. This would leave an 8mm thick strip of MDF visible along the length and ends of the worktop which would need to be hidden or disguised.

3 - sit the new worktop on top of the carcasses and fit some kind of strip to fill the 8mm vertical gap against the wall which is tiled and has a stainless steel splashback along one section. I'm concerned that any strip might not fix too securely and/or any unevenness in the tiles wouldn't be accommodated.

Anyone got any ideas/experience of the best option and how to fix the various downsides? Is there an option I've not thought of?

Hope the units and legs are strong enough. 38mm worktop is heavy but stone is in another league of heaviness...

Would it? Surely the worktop over hangs the front of the units by an inch or more so would hide the packing piece, at least along the front edge. Ends is more of a problem I'll admit but colour matched by paint or a trim of some sort shouldn't be to bad. Yeah I know in another thread I said I hate trims but...

Jacking up the units would be the best bet, 8mm packing bits under the feet and unit sides(*), if there isn't enough adjustment? How are the units screwed to the wall, a little bracket? Move it an inch or so to the side and re-fix to unit and wall.

(*) Remember the weight that will have to be supported. Feet on cupboard base with weight pushing down on the sides is asking for the base to distort if the bottom of the sides doesn't take some of that weight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

if the plinthe is fitted with the usual clips then they can be drooped to floor level - probably wouldnt see the gap tight under the carcass. If not already fitted then there is plastic strip which fits along the bottom of the plinthe(stops dust dirt/liqid running under and stops the chipboard cut edge standingin split liquid) that would take some of the gap anyway.

Reply to
Ghostrecon

There's no plinth.

LED lighting strip between top & carcass....

Reply to
Phil

Just avoid all the hassle by buying a new worktop 38mm thick... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Management has decreed otherwise. And, seeing as it was me who damaged the present one, I've not got much influence in the matter.