replacement windows, without thick frames

Been looking at double glazing windows.

Looking along my street, I see that some have really thick frames and others less thick.

The difference is something in the order of 1" to 2".

My parents council home was just double glazed.

The amount of light that is now let in compared to the old aluminium frames is just crazy.

So what's the solution ?

Bearing in mind am looking for a cost effective option, ideally fitting myself and paying for building regs.

Reply to
andysideas

Thick frames are one of the least endearing aspects of uPVC windows; there will be a bit of variation between types which is probably what you're seeing: however believe it or not there are other materials from which double-glazed windows are made! Try timber for a far more aesthetically pleasing appearance.

David

Reply to
Lobster

We had new windows about a year ago and and after a lot of searching we decided to engage a well respected local company (Stockport area) who have their own in house manufacturing plant and use Kommerling products. I think the product we have is Kommerling Ovalo(?) and i have to say that i am well pleased with it. The frames are solid and well constructed and the profile isnt just plain, i.e it has curved edges to it and therefore looks attractive also. The Glazed units are better than pilkington K standard with regard to insulation and pass plenty of light,no problem. What they do do well though is to cut noise and heat transmission dramatically.

tarquinlinbin

The solution is PVC coated aluminium double glazing which we have. The frame to glass ratio is almost the same as the old timber windows and they look fine. "Cost effective" is another matter. I thought they were cost effective as I was prepared to pay the price to get what I wanted. They are more expensive than most PVC windows. We got ours from :

10 years ago and more recently.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Internally beaded frames are much thicker than externally beaded (very much more so around openers). Internally beaded frames became popular for a while due to security concerns with the externally beaded frames, but the glazing units are now taped in and this is no longer considered an issue with the externally beaded frames.

The other big issue here is the use of K glass, which loses a significant amount of light. You don't have much choice about this now -- the solution was to get your double glazing done before April 2002 (which is what I did).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My house is done entirely with thermal-break aluminium frames - which are white powder coated and no fatter than the wood which they replaced. They are a lot slimmer than comparable uPVC frames - but also more expensive.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Indeed; in fact these days it's the internally-beaded frames which are considered less secure, because if a tea-leaf breaks the glass he can reach inside, unclip the beading, and what's left of the whole glazed unit just drops out leaving a clean, glass-free opening to climb through. Contrast this with the externally beaded units: they remove the beads but aren't able to remove the taped-on sealed units (as anyone whose ever had to do will know!) so they end up climbing through an opening lined with smashed glass: something which burglars tend to avoid.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for all the feedback.

Be good to have some more links if any of you can.

Can I also assume that PRICE is a big factor here ?

These alumin ones cost more I am guessing

Reply to
andysideas

Hold everything. just found this

andysideas