Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

Phil L ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's quite a lot of (probably wilful) misunderstanding of the concept of a conservation area going on.

Reply to
Adrian

More to the point, pentreath (obviously a cousin of someone else on uk.legal ;o) is actually *contributing* to the devaluation of the neighbourhood - remember pentreath that you have to declare disagreements with neighbours when flogging your (probably nothing more than an overpriced barratt) home

Reply to
Nullified

Isn't it? If I see someone fly tipping do I not report it unless it's in my street? Or if a see someone destroying a historic monument - do I not report it if it's not my historic monument?

Reply to
dom

and what are they trying to conserve? - I'll tell you, considering I've worked on many listed buildings and other conservation type properties, they are concerned about the overall appearance, this doesn't mean you can't change sash windows for casement windows, this means so long as the overall appearance isn't unjustly affected, you can do pretty much what you like....I'll wager that the council already know and have approved anyway so it's a moot point.

Reply to
Phil L

The building control approved documents has many provisions for disabled people. The disability discrimination act made provisions for appropriate and practicable adaptation of older commercial buildings. I'd be surprised if conservation area rules didn't have such provisions, where it was relevant to a disability.

Do you have a link to the Times article?

Realistically councils do sometimes get on their high horse and prosecute/persecute when a more understanding approach would be appropriate.

Reply to
dom

Hi again Phil,

In this particular area the order expressly specifies that the wooden sashes must be retained or replaced like with like. It also prohibits satellite dishes on the front of the building - what a liberty, eh?

It even prohibits painting the houses pink. Ironic considering it must all be motivated by town hall marxists ;-)

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Hi nullified,

That is in fact an excellent point! Would a request to the council to enforce the order (as opposed to a direct falling out with the builder) need to be disclosed in the conveyancing process? At the risk of further infuriating Grunff, Phil, etc the house is about seven doors down, so not exactly an immediate neighbour.

Overpriced my house certainly is. However, Barratt were not building in

1870, although the victorian cowboys who put this place together were are their spiritual ancestors.

Yours,

Pentreath (Martin), Mr

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I'd already guessed that part.

Reply to
Grunff

I agree with you too Martin, what's the point in having a conservation area that can't be conserved? If your neighbour hadn't broke the ruling that applied to his house in his full knowledge you wouldn't be in this position.

I'm doing what I can in my road ( non-conservation area ) to retain old features and keep new stuff in sympathy, but most people just replace old curved/carved wooden bits with straight/plain upvc. Total charisma bypass results.

I have no recourse in these circumstances to get people to do a better job, but I knew that when I moved in, I just watch the upvc creep and bite my lip, but then I and they don't live in a conservation area. If I did I'd have had the bastard who knocked down a great lump of ancient devon hedge just so he didn't have to aim his car particularly well when entering or leaving his front garden.

I have got a buddy at the end of the road though, he's converted his bungalow to have attic rooms and instead of doing what everyone else does and having a portacabin planted on his roof, he's done a very good-looking tiled, pitched roof with several dormer windows.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I think it was so that she could open them- otherwise they would have been to heavy for her.

't heard anything since so I assume she got away with it.

Reply to
Aaron Borbora

Why should other people have any control over what he does with his property? If they don't like it perhaps they should pay for it.

Reply to
Aaron Borbora

In which case then there would be no need whatsoever to dislose it. Don't worry about upsetting the kikes of Grunf because that is their purpose in life!

How very true!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I don't have any kikes, and I object to your use of such a highly derogatory term.

What do you mean it's my purpose in life? What is my purpose?

Reply to
Grunff

Hi Peter,

Funnily enough the objective of not upsetting Grunff fell off my agenda around about the same time as he submitted his first post ;-)

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

In case somebody accuses me of racism of course I meant likes not kikes when I referred to him!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes across the Knavesmire in York (a very sensitive area, opposite the racecourse) they made someone rip out some unsuitable reecently installed plastic windows (IMO they are *all* unsuitable) and restore the building.

However Councils can and do take what view they want of issues, and the can also choose those which they address, and those which they let pass.

Do you have any influence in your community?

Member of the local golf club, Chamber of Trade etc.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Yes, of course you did...

Reply to
Grunff

Sometimes there's a local Civic Society, who take an active interest in this type of subject.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IME experience PVC doors and architraves are far worse than traditional wood for access. The greater thickness of the sections makes for deep thresholds to be got-over, thick ugly architraves equates to small doors, and correspondingly restricted space in the doorway.

What is she a professor of ??

She "fought" for *Plastic* . The mind boggles.

AIUI that can't be an option, except maybe in extremis, her choice, let it go to court, tough it out from there.

Good, if you could just post a link to it we can see what it is all about, and suss it out.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Aaron Borbora ( snipped-for-privacy@merton.ox.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or perhaps they should live somewhere without planning or conservation rules...?

Reply to
Adrian