Replacement Windows

My daughter is house-hunting and looked at one today that really needed new windowframes.

What is a realistic ball-park cost per frame?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Mixture of 12 frames (doors, patio door, large and small windows, 7 toughened, 5 plain) £4100, DIY fit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

For the frames, you can do some online quotes here:

I've used them - decent frames.

If you want fitted, then add a bit but as the frames and glass are not cheap, you will probably not have to add that much extra...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Linux?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

prolly 500 fitted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank goodness for that, I thought this was going to be another bloody Linux thread. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Velux. Open source loft windows.

Reply to
Graham.

:-)

Reply to
ARW

And what about wooden windows and frames? My wife hates PVC, and wants to replace the windows in our victorian (1860) cottage.

6 windows each approximately 4ft by 2ft. How much should I expect to pay (very roughly) including installation?
Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Tell her she is going to maintain them. Haven't painted a window for over 40 yrs. Try wood grain finished PVC. Works well.

Reply to
Capitol

This. Bloody wooden windows. Horrid things.

Reply to
Huge

I assume the windows were wooden when the cottage was built. I guess she wants to restore the cottage to its original state.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Cost it in mahogany or red cedar.

I have mahogany main frames with aluminium windows and despite severe exposure and years of paint falling off, the amount of damage was very minimal.

I have sanded, repaired and recoated in Sadolin and sealed the joints.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So, earth floor, candle lit, open wood fire, no running water other than from roof leaks, earth closet in the garden. Seems like a wonderful idea. Worthy of the green party.

Reply to
Capitol

You can even get ones with fake dividers inside the DG cavity. It compromises the efficiency a bit but is much easier to clean.

Is she going to paint them as well? There is a lot of work painting the woodwork on a classical cottage window with panes split every 10" or so.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not that expensive to get the sashes replaced if you shop around. The frames and sills are normally repairable IME. A neighbour of ours had new sliding sash windows complete with boxes, but the sash weights never travelled smoothly. Nothing but trouble

Reply to
stuart noble

I detest sash windows. Horrid things.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nice looking though, and generally long lived because they're recessed into the brickwork. My neighbours would have a fit if I changed mine (at the front anyway)

Reply to
stuart noble

Precisely my thought.

Reply to