replacement water main rules

The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm from the outside wall it passes through. Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run pipes above ground along the hall ! Any idea how this should in interpreted ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

not just how could you comply, if you have a solid floor how did you intend to reach a suitable internal location through you solid floor?

hard to advise without knowing the site and building layout.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I read that as the underground main to emerge at the stoptap being within 750mm of the point of entry. In which case your further route is pretty much down to you.

Reply to
cynic

Tell me how they would ever know unless you put an advert in the local paper! It should be interpreted by using your common sense and thinking.

Reply to
David

But I want the stop-tap in the kitchen, not in the hall ! The house layout is very common. I cannot believe all lead replacements on these old houses have the new stopcock within 750mm of the front wall. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You would mole it from the front garden to a hole in the kitchen floor. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

from Severn trent about replacement water mains

I imagine they would want to check that part of the installation as much as the trench. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:22:39 -0700, sm_jamieson mused:

Have you ever had a mole wotsit done? It's sometimes easier, and cheaper, to just dig the floors up.

Reply to
Lurch

Still guessing about the property type, but assuming it's a terraced property, I have previously built a new riser into a partition wall behind the front door. That should satisfy ST leaving you to get the pipe any which way to your kitchen. Good luck with the moleing. Got a quote yet?

Alternatively, consult a ST approved plumber for guidance.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Well it turns out the shared lead main runs down an entry and then across the back gardens, and I am the last on the run. I would have a new main from the road, under front drive, under front and back room suspended floors (which is OK in their rules), through kitchen wall footings/solid floor and the stopcock could be in the same place as now. I could leave the lead to an outside tap for now, although I'm not sure if this would prevent the lead replacement scheme subsidies.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson