Replacement Velux-type windows

I have installed several. It is a PIA (time consuming) but not difficult.

If it's near the crest of the roof then slates can be removed all the way up, you would need a ripper to get them off undamaged. If it's lower down, it's not practical to remove a large number of slates. So the top ones/rows you took out; can be refitted with a wire latching device instead of nails (the slates are just shoved up under the ones above until the wire things engage.)

You need to allow plenty of time and be prepared for the unexpected. (Eg rot in roof timbers/battens too.) And have a good tarpualin and means of securing it. And maybe a few spare slates and the means of cutting them.

You might be able to do a lot of the work from inside, ie working through the window hole/frame.

Reply to
harryagain

I need to replace an old Velux window set in a pitched slate roof. The frame's rotten,something leaks and the glass has blown.

Velux replacement (SK06, 114x118cm) is about £600, including collar and flashing.

A Rooflite Nito of the same size is about £270, including collar and flashing.

As I'm not intending to stay here more than a couple of years, any cautionary tales relating to the choice of Rooflite?

Also, I was going to have a go at fixing it - it looks simple enough at:

But a joiner/handyman mate wouldn't quote for fitting. He was saying they can be a world of pain, often needing many courses of slate stripping back, and wouldn't be a job he'd consider. I can sort of see his point looking at that video, but I've not worked on a roof before . . . any comment?

Reply to
RJH

Don't take any risks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

When I fitted some Velux roof lights into my clay tiled roof some years ago I was able to do everything from inside, including breaking through and then opening up the hole to the right size, fitting the frame, flashing and then replcing tiles (had to cut some to fit).

About a days work for each one.

Assuming that the opening window in both the Velux and the Rooflite are removable from the frame you ought to be able to do the whole lot from inside without climbing onto the roof.

Reply to
Davidm

How can one exist without taking risks?

Reply to
cl

The generic ones from Travis Perkins seem O.K. We have three of them in our extension roof.

No advice about fitting them into an existing roof.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I suppose you are right. I risked a stupid response.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Exactly my experience fitting a Wickes clone to a concrete tiled roof. Easier than I expected. But I can see that slates might be much more awkward.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks for that. I'm in two minds whether to give it a go. A couple of additional details that might be relevant - it's nowhere near the crest, I can access the inside of the roof (room gutted and awaiting boarding/plastering) so that might make removing tiles easier, and I have no intention of getting out on the roof.

Reply to
RJH

To life/limb? No chance - just watching people on roofs makes me feel dizzy!

Reply to
RJH

Yes, it's the slates. I need to do a bit of reading and a closer examination of the roof. it looks quite tatty to my eye - 100 year+ slates.

Reply to
RJH

Well so long as it can be "dehinged" ie the opening bit removed from the frame there should be no problem. The thing you may not have is the ripper.

harryagain