Replacement Tap seats - any good?

I've just re-cut the seat on a bath tap for the nth time and now the tap unwinds so far that the jumper (if they're still called that) comes too far out of the top part and won't re-enter - so the tap won't turn on! I know I *should* replace the tap but it's going to be a pain to do so I'd prefer not to; are those replacement seat jobbies any good?

Reply to
Nospam

Wot replacement seats? Not come across them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If they're the plastic things sold in B&Q, they're f'useless - to badly made to get a seal and can't, of course, be cut.

Reply to
PeterC

A plastic top-hat section that sits on top of the original seat ... I decided to buy one (from BnQ) so will give it a go tomorrow and report back. I don't hold-out much hope but for less than £2 it's worth a try because the (rented) bathroom will probably be be re-fitted later this year so I just need to extend the tap's life for a few months.

Reply to
Nospam

This sort of thing?

F Murtz

Reply to
Nospam

They're crap!

I briefly considered turning-up a brass insert but thought I'd have a go at replacing the tap first ... it was a bit of a bu&&er but nowhere near as bas as I had expected.

Reply to
Nospam

I used them successfully about 30 years ago. That was probably the last time I had a tap which could take them.

The other important aspect of them is that they change the position at which the washer seals on the seat, which in my case meant the bit of screw thread on the tap which had worn out and jumped threads was no longer being used.

You could also get valve seat grinders which regrind the seat surface, and I still have one of those knocking around somewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel