Replacement Sealed Units in Wooden Double Glazing

I moved into a new house about 18 months ago which has wooden double glazing. The house is only about 9 years old, but the previous owners had fake lead diamond effect stuck all over the windows and this, combined with poor maintenance, seems to have resulted in the breakdown of many of the sealed units (misted sealed units).

When I examined the windows it wasn't immediately apparent to me that the sealed units were easily replaceable. I suppose I expected to see some sort of putty holding them in, but it all looks like wood to me.

The windows are all awning windows (i.e. hinged across the top horizontally, as opposed to casement windows which are hinged down one side to open like a door). Each window has two parts - an upper and a lower, with the upper being openable and the lower being fixed closed. The lower parts do seem to have frames which are build into the main frame (i.e. I might be able to remove a lower window with it's sub-frame, if you know what I mean).

Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the sealed units (the glass) or will I need to replace each sub-frame too? Also, does anyone know of anybody offering the service of replacing such sealed units in wooden frames?

Thanks.

Reply to
Tony

How does the fake lead flashing result in blown units? Also, how does 'poor maintenance' result in blown units? What preventative maintenance is there which prolongs the life of sealed units?

Yes, there will be beading holding the sealed units in, either on the inside or on the outside. Removing this beading will allow you access to the sealed units.

Reply to
Grunff

|Tony wrote: |> I moved into a new house about 18 months ago which has wooden double |> glazing. The house is only about 9 years old, but the previous owners |> had fake lead diamond effect stuck all over the windows and this, |> combined with poor maintenance, seems to have resulted in the breakdown |> of many of the sealed units (misted sealed units). | |How does the fake lead flashing result in blown units? Also, how does |'poor maintenance' result in blown units? What preventative maintenance |is there which prolongs the life of sealed units? | | |> Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the |> sealed units (the glass) | |Yes, there will be beading holding the sealed units in, either on the |inside or on the outside. Removing this beading will allow you access to |the sealed units.

Get a pair of those suction lifters,

or similar. sealed units are *heavy*.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

If water gets into timber frames it might result in strain being put on the DG units resulting in premature failure.

You can buy these unit at a BM or good glazier. They're surprisingly cheap.

Possibly a workaround for the paperwork needed for fitting a new window... just fit it, and claim to have replaced the DG units if anyone says anything.

Reply to
Chris Bacon