Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Page 4 of 6

Quite, although I suppose in the sense of 'anterior' it could be described as a f*ck up. IYSWIM :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Holy crap guys, can we stop feeding the troll already? *one* person stirring up *many* other people, *nobody* agreeing with him, if that doesn't define a troll then what does? Let's kill it already, it was interesting for a while, now it's just lame.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:21:20 -0000, "half_pint"

No it isn't.

There are several 16/17" sets (which have the same vertical screen height as a 14" standard.

Then get a smaller/cheaper set.

The profit is the extra sales generated by people like you.

The Community Charge system was the fairest tax ever used.

One reason so few programmes are made in 4:3.

No it isn't. All football is now recorded and most is transmitted in widescreen.

It is already on its way. In a few years time you will not be able to watch analogue broadcasts.

But we are going digital. The majority of people now have digital TV and the size of that majority grows every day.
If my 78 year old Mother can see the advantage of digital then so will everyone else - except idiots like you.
--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
Bob Brenchley. wrote:

No - prove it - give a some links - you cannot. EOS

That as a smaller cheapo set. It's 380 for a set 10% bigger. (32 in)

WS has causes me to stop buying TV's, mugs like you cough up merrilly.

For the filthy rich yes.

You get what you are served not what you choose.

Not where I live (central UK).

Wrong.
Yes and a cure for cancer is just around the corner.

Is she blind and senile? (like you)
-- --------------- regards half_pint
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:57:01 -0000, "half_pint"

You are, and a very sick one at that.

They have been posted in the past, you ignored them.

28" @ 280 is not smaller and not cheaper. You want small, go smaller. You want cheap then go cheaper - you can get WSTVs for under 200 these days.

It will be very good for the television industry - this promotion of widescreen you do for them. Because if Half-Brain says it is bad then it must be a "must have" for normal people.

For everyone.

That is broadcasting for you. Apply to set up your own station and then you can dish out your own programming. See if you can find a few mugs that think 4:3 is better than 16:9.

Yes, where YOU live.

No, the switch off of analogue broadcasts started several years ago when Sky and the Cable companies started to move to Digital. Sky completed its move two years ago, most cable companies have also switched off analogue or plan to do so very soon. Normal terrestrial TV will start in the next three or four years - first with relay transmitters but then the main ones. 6 or 7 years from now there will be not analogue broadcasts in the UK.

Many are already cured, others are just around the corner - what to stop that development as well?

Stupid Troll.
--
Bob.

Your IQ score is 2 (it takes 3 to grunt).
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:50:14 -0000, "half_pint"

No.
Who would want to lug a large TV about?

--
Bob.

The difference between ordinary stupid and extraordinary stupid can be
writes

Yes.
Someone who has a large portable?
Forgive me if I am overstating the obvious.

regards half_pint

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:16:33 -0000, "half_pint"

writes

No I find it funny that people use the (invalid) golden rectangle arguement for WS TV's when the rectangle is as likely to be horizontal as vertical, thus making a square a better shape for a TV, and taken a little futher circular would be the best comprimise (as mother nature discovered as she evloved human vision thus resulting in round eyes, pupils, iris's fovea and macular.)

I don't recall making it an argument for widescreen TV, I was just making an observation

Not got a real grip on the world have you ?
--
geoff

writes

What is your observation and how is it relevant?

What makes you think that and what characteristics are displayed (in your opinon) by someone with a 'grip on the world'?

It was that 16:9 was a golden rectangle, and I claimed no relevance

Someone who recognises that the world is changing and that standing still is, in effect moving backwards.
Analogue TV will be switched off as soon as is practicable. The fact that a total mess has been made of it (the changeover) is irrelevant, it will happen.
--
geoff

writes

I dont think it is, 16:9 is 1:1.8 A golden ratio is 1:1.62 (unless I have screwed up big time) (rare)

I am recognising the world is moving backwards. By standing still I am effectively advancing :O)

Never if it means swithcing to widescreen?
Digital and WS have been married to produce an ugly bastard, (if its possible to produce a bastard under wedlock). Its a total cockup. We would not be in this mess if I was in charge :O|

Its a mess cos its bad, is a backwards step. Backwards steps in evolution are rare and don;t usualy last long.

Sorry, it's going to happen

You're losing it here

--
geoff

writes

I don't lose often, you should seee my yahoo pool rating (when sober).

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:15:31 -0000, "half_pint"

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I don't think that will particularly matter, we're in the age of one chip does everything, it costs only pennies per unit to provide an analog output in whatever video standard is desired from a digital cable box. Digital will slowly creep in, but the analog TV will be with us for a while in one form or another. The majority of the people I know with digital cable use it with a standard TV, the only reason I see for HD is for movies.
half_pint wrote:

Ah. So what you are saying is that a squeare scereen would be good because you could watch it lying on your side?

writes

No thats what you said.
-- --------------- regards half_pint

Where are you even getting that from? A portrait display (taller than wide) is great for showing just that, a portrait of one person, or a full document, but since our eyes are side by side, not one over the other, when you look out over a scene you see more width than height. There's little of interest on the ground or up in the sky, hence the popularity of panoramic photos for showing a scene.
Just the same, yes if the standard was square and movies were shot assuming a square screen it would work just fine and dandy aside from having to try harder to keep mic booms, etc out of the picture and needing to be zoomed out unnessesarily far to fit many scenes, but the fact of the matter is that's not the case, and movies are filmed wider than they are tall. That's the way it's been for a long time and it's unlikely for that to change. Are you a troll or what? You must have been one of those kids who'd try to jam the round peg in the square hole for reasons not apparent to anyone else.