Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Page 3 of 6
Bob Brenchley. wrote:

That garbage, the human field of active 20/20 vision is very narrow about 20 degrees IIRC. It is *not possible* to watch a film using *peripheral vision*. Please read up on how human vision works (but not on a site designed for 5 year old children), before contributing more misleading and inaccurate garbage.

Fact
Because anyone below then has their vision obscured, a high and distant 'upper circle' is the best that can be managed, with abour 10% of the seating capacity below.

-- --------------- regards half_pint
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:50:03 -0000, "half_pint"

Hohohoho!! Add a zero to that dumbo.
It is *not possible* to watch a film using

Ideally the picture should be far wider.

Try doing the same dumbo - maybe then you would not look so stupid.

No it isn't.

Not been to an Imax cinema have you?

--
Bob.

The difference between ordinary stupid and extraordinary stupid can be
Bob Brenchley. wrote:

Your the only zero here.

Hence our eyes in the back of our heads.

You are stupid.

Don't argue with better educated people.

No I don't flush my money down the loo either.

-- --------------- regards half_pint
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:05:37 -0000, "half_pint"

Still well above you.
The human field of vision is about 200 degrees by the way.

Looking in the mirror again dumbo.

I'm not - I'm arguing with a moron like you.

--
Bob.

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in
half_pint wrote:

Ah, but that is where you are completely wrong.
depending on teh species, there are huge variations in visual perecp[ion. Cats for example have vertical irises,which allow extermely shapr vision in teh horizontal plane, less so in teh vertical, at night.
Horses have near 360 degree vison horizontally, but only 180 vertically. And precious little binocular.
We as tree and plains dwellers, have good binocular, and about 120 degree horizontally and about 90 degree vertically peripheral vision.

Er, you can. Old formay 35mm screens worked juts fine on seating, but more and more they only got the film projected in teh middle bit. So the newer cinemas are a bit lower. Wide screen - e.g. cinerama - has been around a while. The main driver has always been te ability to show more sideways. Its so happens that teh majority of pictures do not featire a single talking head, and things like car chases benefit from gerater horizontal stuff.

Both, but not your ecomomic argument. Most films are really mde for DVD/video these days. Only teh really big blockbusters make cinema money.
Its an artistic and practical thing. And the equipment makers follow fashions
to help obosolete old kit.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Wrong our field of viable 20/20 vision is about 20 degrees IIRC, look it up. You *cannot* effectively use peripheral vison to watch TV.

Thats a bit garbled. It is a fact the the taller the picture the less people you can seat per unit area, a 10 year old child could work that out. ( You may find tha maths a bit taxing presumably)

pretentious 'purists'

The fashion of economics and profit, not good picture making.

-- --------------- regards half_pint

There is no such thing as a golden rectangle, its a myth which developed in the 18th-19th century. Google in it but be careful to avoid the red herring sites.

propper broadcasts available. A WS TV of a reasonable hight is ridiculously expensive. Eventually people will realise they have been sold a pig in a poke. If someone can tell me who is responsible for the introduction of widescreen TV perhaps I can sue them. I am sure some corrupt practice must have taken place for it to happen. I can't believe 99% of the population are morons On second thoughts.........
You know I have even seen some programs resorting to splitting the WS down the middle and showing two propper pictures. Crazy.
I guess I will just have to suffer along in this insane world. You can now pick up a didgtal transistor radio for 100 would you believe, then you need add on another 300 for and ariel to get half decent reception.
Ain't milk brilliant eh?
What will you do when your old 4:3 portable vacuum tube TV croaks bye the way? I look forward to hearing your answer
-- --------------- regards half_pint

Well Leonardo and the ancient greeks certainly recognised it

--
geoff

writes

The greeks may have a golden ratio in maths however it is nothing to do with art. Oh and claims about the Mona Lisa are b*llocks. Apart from anything else the picture is not widescreen it is quite the opposite. Its much taller than it is wide. Bit odd that eh?

You will need strong arms lugging that b*stard about.

Not an art connoisseur are we? Who said it was - golden rectangles are normally used to highlight important areas of interest

I have one in every main room of the house
--
geoff

-- --------------- regards half_pint
writes

Garbage - If you think there is a GR in Mona face you are deluded, there are so many points on a persons face I could make any shape fit into it 4:3, 2:1, 5:3, 9:4, 7:2
All natures creatures, apart form a few specalists such as seagulls evolved a circular visual system to do its panning and scanning. This is to be expected since given any random selection of images you will find a best coverage is achieved with a circular apperture.

Well for two reasons one you might need to move it about a lot, maybe a student or some other type who travels a lot. Also you may not have a very large house, I would like a portable in the kitchen and anything bigger than a portable would take up too much room, ditto for the bedroom. There must be a market for portable TV's (which you appear to deny) because they make up about 30-50 percent of the TV market . Also not everyone wants to spend 280 on a TV when they can get one for 69, but I guess you call paying 4 times what you used to pay is 'progress', just like digital radio, where you can pay 10 times the price for a product which will not even work unless you pay a futher 400 for an ariel the size of Jodrell Bank.

There's a plentiful supply of used 4:3 sets, and that will only get larger as 16:9 gains popularity, so if anything you should be happy, supply will be high, demand will be low, prices will be cheap. The 4:3 format will likely remain popular for quite some time for portable sets, but 4:3 is virtually dead for large projection sets even today, with no signs of that slowing down. I rather like the trend, if I had my choice I'd go WS but I got my 50" standard set for free, I'm sure after a few years I'll come across an even nicer one as someone upgrades.

So you prefer WS TV but have not experienced it yet? bit odd? Films can be 'doctored' to look OK in WS ( stick a lampost/hatstand in the wasted space) but you cannot do that to real life broadcasts (sport, news etc). In real life people have tops on their heads.( no wonder hats went out of fashion).

Again where are you getting this information? I don't *own* a widescreen set but I *would* prefer one, it just so happens that I'm satisfied enough with what I have until something better comes along. It's not like I've never watched one before, but I still would find it nice if the screen fit the image rather than wasting a couple inches of the screen.
I don't even know why I'm continuing to discuss this, some day perhaps you'll realize that you're in the minority, WS sets sell, and they fetch a premium price, you may not like them but that doesn't change the fact that they're gradually becoming a standard. Why is this such an issue for you? It's not like 4:3 will disapear in your lifetime, if you choose to cling to it nobody will stop you, most anyone will agree it *is* cheaper so if it suits your needs stick with it and stop arguing against the majority.

Again, I made no mention of the Mona Lisa - it's a portrait over a portrait. You have to dig a bit deeper into the art world than that

Did you miss my comment above?

Nah - 28" in the bedroom, portable but static in the kitchen (4:3 portable)

I don't recall having said anything of the kind

Aah - you like sex channels then

Who needs Joderell Bank ?
What I'm saying is:
The 16:9 is becoming the new standard, like it or not. You are in a changing world, you can dig your heels in, but you're not going to win because it's a massive business whose primary interest is not what you happen to find aesthetically pleasing, but what, economically , is going to generate best profits.
Digital TV will eventually take over from analogue and you can sit in front of your old TV looking at snow if you want to - the constant, safe secure world that you once knew is no more, get used to it

--
geoff

writes

You mentioned leonardo, the ML is a common example given for the GR.

No I didn't, you appear to have missed my point however. ( which is there are few/no portable WS vacuum tube TV's)

I don't fancy a paying 280 for a TV in the bedroom which I would hardly ever watch, besides it would take up too much room anyway.

Not explicitly no.

Not really I can get all my filth on line for free.

And you are right but wrong. I was considering buying a new main TV and two portables but all this WS crap has put me off. So where is the profit in that?
The poll tax was good for business but it died a death. 16:9 looks ok on a 4:3 but 4:3 on a 16:9 looks shite. Most of my viewing is still 4:3, the soaps (which I don't watch) are in 16:9 but soap viewers will watch anything. (Actually soaps look bad in 16:9 cos its mainly indoors so no landscape shots, its mainly portrait type shots). My footie is still 4:3 :O)

to eat Marie Anttiornette(?). It will be a brave polititian who says "Let them watch snow!!"
I have noticed a lot of heavy pushing of 'new technology' by the BBC though. It make me wonder who is controling the situation. MAybe we will be required to have a portrait of the Governer General of the BBC in every room?
We haven't gone digital yet and it will take a long time I expect.

You are (as I am ) totally insignificant in the big picture (so to speak)

Never watched more than one episode of Coronation street 30 years ago - but with an anterior motive

Football on TV is shite whatever resolution you use

It will happen

I agree, but the format is changing, what ever your wishes might be
--
geoff

writes

its a thin picture to be correct.

It used to have some great humour in it at one time, but still not really my cup of tea.

It is if your watching Nottm Forest these days sadly :O(
Well personally I think most films are shite, but then horses for courses. I have to have a real interest in the result/players to watch most footballs though, otherwise is basically a bag of air being kicked arouond.

hopefully not in my lifetime and I have plenty of years left (I hope).

It's normally "ulterior". "Anterior" in connection with Corrie St?
There would be an interesting tale there.......:-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It was a typo, although how I got a&u and n&l mixed up, I have no idea, they're not even close on the kbd.
I read it in several replies and winced, but wasn't going to correct it as I have given up on this thread
--
geoff