Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Page 1 of 6
Hi All,
My 3.5 year old Toshiba 32" widescreen has died, due to a faulty picture tube. The problem is that now and again the green gun overloads, filling the screen with a green zig-zag pattern, then the TV shuts down. The repair shop say this is due to a bad design in the picture tube, causing overheating. This is a well known problem in this tube (Philips) apparently, and this tube is no longer used in new products.
Now, my question is, can I get Toshiba to provide me with a replacement picture tube without me having to pay for it? IMHO, the set was very very expensive when I bought it, and a three and a half year life span is simply unacceptable for something like this. Is there any recourse under UK law to do this? I was thinking about going along the usual "fit for purpose" and "merchantable quality" lines. Does anyone know of any successes/failures of people trying to do this?
I've googled around, but couldn't see anything. I swear I read/heard something about forcing electronics manufacturers to repair out with warranty, but I can't remember or find the source.
Thanks in advance,
Fraser.

I have seen it suggested in this NG -uk.diy,that 6 years is a reasonable time to expect such items to "live" but haven't seen anything to back this up. Stuart

Have a look on www.tradingstandards.gov.uk they have a lot of information in their advice leaflet's.
If I were you, I would give Trading Standards a call, and see what they feel about it - they will advise you of what to do if they feel you have reasonable grounds.
Just enter your postcode on their site, and it will give you the phone number of a local office.
Sparks...

this
in
That website has pretty much the same claim. From the FAQ at: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?fileV0054-1111.txt
--- >8 --- Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights? A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights. --- >8 ---
Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned I'm in Scotland, so things may be a little different (5 years from discovery of fault, as opposed to 6 from purchase). I put part (but not all) of the purchase on my Visa, which also may have relevance. The Trading Standards website says "This means that the credit card company and the supplier have the same obligations and responsibilities to you for the goods being satisfactory.", however that may not apply because 100% of the purchase wasn't put on the credit card. I'll probably keep that as a last resort.
I'll be getting in touch with the store on Monday. Gives me a chance to find the receipt (which Trading Standards says isn't actually necessary!) and let the store quieten down a bit after the Christmas sales. It will be easier if the manager is in a good mood!! ;-) Fingers crossed!!
Fraser.
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:20:05 +0000, Stuart

Not quite.
There is a 6 year statute of limitations. This means that you have up to 6 years following purchase to pursue a claim. It does not mean that the law is providing the equivalent to a 6 year warranty. A test of reasonableness in the context of the item, its price, the market and the circumstance is used.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

<<snip>>.
<<snip>>
Join the club Stuart...
Try a Philips 32" widescreen failing after 18 months... :(
-- Jet (watching a Sharpe set this Christmas)

It isn't the manufacturer's issue directly, it is the retailer's.
Your contract of purchase is with the retailer and not the manufacturer. The warranty is merely a convenience for both the retailer and the manufacturer, and during that period they are agreeing, subject to certain terms and conditions to fix problems.
The warranty does not replace your statutory rights. Goods do have to be fit for purpose but reasonableness would be applied by the courts. In other words, if this were a cheap Chinese TV costing 100 then if it failed after 3 years it would probably not be worth pursuing since you probably would not be awarded much if anything.
From a technical perspective, I would expect a CRT in a quality TV to last a good 5 years depending on amount of use.
Given this and that the product was expensive, I think that you can make a very reasonable case to the retailer that it needs to be addressed at his cost. It's his problem if he wants to take that up with the manufacturer but the buck stops with the retailer from your perspective.
I would suggest contacting the manager of the store where you bought the product and if need be the area manager. If you meet with resistance, put the claim in writing and send by special delivery.
You have the option of pursuing a complaint through the Small Claims Division of the court. This can be done as a DIY exercise. In the context of a TV, I would not consider using a solicitor for this because the meter will run rapidly.
Ultimately you have to decide whether the time and cost of pursuing are justified.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They're pulling your plonker. I can't think of any tube fault that would cause a zig-zag pattern - or to cause the SMPS to shut down the set.
--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

It's quite common. A cathode short in one of the RGB guns will cause the entire screen to turn that colour, and the zig-zag pattern is the retrace lines. As the cathodes are fed from a ~200v supply, the load caused by a short on this can cause the PSU to go into shutdown to protect itself.

the
shop
simply
of
Well all I can say is if you enjoy viewing anything in widescreen format you deserve all you get, its a bloody stupid format, which seems set to ruin my TV enjoyment for ever. If your TV won't work have a look out of you letter box, you will get a similar effect to WS. I believe I mentioned here earlier that WS tubes would be more prone to failure for various reason which I won't explore here. Why not but a portable and a mignifying lens which stretches the picture horizontally? It will be a lot cheaper and more reliable.
I doubt you will have much luck complaining, because you bought a WS in the first place you are already marked out as a mug with more money than sense, so they will not be forthcoming.
Harsh word I know, but true. But anyway have a Merry Xmas.
-- --------------- regards half_pint

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:51:03 -0000, "half_pint"

That is so nice to hear.

Good, because with your incredibly limited knowledge of electronics we know you will get it totally wrong.

--
Bob.

The difference between ordinary stupid and extraordinary stupid can be

picture
filling
overheating.
this
very
law
and
successes/failures
you
Garbage. His post proves I am correct.

-- --------------- regards half_pint

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:33:39 -0000, "half_pint"

to draw any conclusions from a study size of one is a total rubbish
please go away and learn something useful before posting something you allege is fact again.
btw, your post on WS is rubbish as well. I predominantly use my WS tv to watch dvds as content from tv is generally crap, as you should know 16:9 is more representative than 4:3 for most transfers to dvd.
David Hemmings wrote:

I include the thousands who didn't post.

I dont watch DVD period. Why should I suffer for you to indulge your fetish?
-- --------------- regards half_pint
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:18:05 -0000, "half_pint"

For shame, did they ask you to post on their behalf, guessing and misrepresentation don't count either.

fucktard, i hardly think watching a film in the current best sound and audio format a fetish. A 22:9 crt is definitely out of the question, the 16:9 is the best compromise between those wanting to watch films as they were intended (seeing as there is scare little tv programmes of any merit anymore) and those desparately clinging to to past, i'm surprised you don't argue that the colour guns make tvs less reliable.
What do you use you tv for, putting plants on ?
Niche - 4:3 tvs, VCR, good tv.......

They were *intended* to be watched in a high capacity *cinema*, hence the wide format, so everyone could sit near the screen.

There is plenty of merit, if you find no merit in real life, ie news sport, music, politics and comedy then maybe not.

Thalidomide was a new drug for pregnant women once.

You can get more plants on a widescreen so no.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:29:24 -0000, "half_pint"

Rubbish - the shape of the cinema screen has nothing to do with the seating.
In addition, as most films now make far more from the video/DVD release then from the box office, and given the extra content the film makers have to plan for the DVD, their thoughts are always with the home viewer.

And is now a highly successful drug in combatting a number of medical problems.

Widescreen TV - giving you a more natural view on the world.
--
Bob.

If brains were taxed, you would get a rebate.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:37:25 UTC, Bob Brenchley.

I agree. Let's ignore half_pint from now on....his views are clearly the result of inverted snobbery, ignorance, envy...or all three.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

And your views are those of a mindless simpleton who will happily buy what ever the salesman pushes his way, even though from experience he knows 99% is overpriced useless garbage.
"I bet my neighbour has not got one of these" is his prime motivation.
-- --------------- regards half_pint

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:37:25 +0000, Bob Brenchley. wrote:

definition have you? Now that is an "open window".
Of course with the "never mind the quality, count the channels" philosophy of UK broadcasters we are highly unlikely to see Hi-Def in the UK for at least the next 10 years or more.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail