Replacement of finish for external doorframe -

I have a west facing front door. Both frame and door are made of elm. The door paintwork has not suffered from the sun, but the side of the frame facing south has lost all its paint - it all went in 20+ years ago and I can't remember if the same paint was used - I suspect not. It's only this side that has gone.

The exposed wood is 35mm wide and is a bit like teak in its weathering. I'm wondering if I should just oil it now which would be very much quicker than cutting it back, priming, etc. The look of such a narrow amount of wood isn't really that critical to me.

Would teak oil be suitable ? I'm not sure what its UV tolerance is .

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'd use wood hardener.

Reply to
stuart noble

The wood doesn't need treating - it's just lost it's paint finish completely and I wondered about using an oil finish instead of having to repaint the whole thing.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

IME paint doesn't usually fail unless the substrate is naff. Once wood gets that grey, weather beaten look, it never holds a coat of paint properly

Reply to
stuart noble