Replacement oak(?) slat for garden bench

Daughter has a couple of garden benches and one has a broken rotted seat slat. Difficult (for me) to tell the wood under all the varnish but probably oak. Any suggestions for (preferably local - Central Scotland) source for a replacement piece of timber about 5 feet long, 70mm * 18mm?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

It isn't oak, it's a normal piece of wood stained. Any similar piece from B&Q painted with a matching stain will do.

Reply to
Neil

Dunno if they do oak, but Thornhill Sawmill / Timber merchants, off Forth St, Stirling, round the back of the indoor bowling club?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Also: East End Sawmills

367 Dalmarnock Road Glasgow G40 4TY 0141 551 8968 info AT eastendsawmills DOT co DOT uk

These guys are v helpful, definitely a trade outfit but are happy to help the DIYer, don't know their hardwood stock but def worth a call. They'll machine to any non stock size and IIRC you just pay the rate for the stock timber used, no machining fee.

but it's only just coming out of the dark ages and timber stock is not yet listed.

They're related to:

Lawsons Timber Unit 3 Bankhead Crossway North Sighthill Industrial Estate Sighthill Edinburgh EH11 4BP

0131 442 1755 colin AT eastendsawmills DOT co DOT uk
Reply to
fred

Think carefully about replacing the lot. If one is rotten, chances are the others are too.

It won't be oak. Nor is oak, in anything under 2" thick, a good choice for outdoor work.

I'd go for a resinous softwood like larch and I'd select my board carefully to find the most resinous. If I insisted on hardwood, then I'd use chestnut as that's pretty rot-resistant. Oak isn't a good choice here. Larch is also one of the cheapest timbers you'll find.

As a finish I'd use either Danish oil (Screwfix, cheap) or one of the Organoil finishes (harder to find) as they're quite impressive for outdoor woodwork. Then I'd leave the rest of the bottle on-site and tell them to re-oil it annually.

You can probably find it locally grown.

Reply to
Andy Dingley