Replacement kitchen hinges

A couple of the hinges on cupboard doors in our kitchen have stopped working properly. The kitchen is about 12 years old. Are these fixings standardised at all? They are the usual chipboard hinges with about a 2cm hole in the door and a couple of screw fixings in the side of the cupboard.

Reply to
GB

Actually, I didn't measure the hole. Would something like this just drop in?

I be best off expecting to replace all the hinges on that door?

Reply to
GB

Almost certainly. IME the screw holes may not align though. If not, you need a 5mm bit to drill new ones

Reply to
Stuart Noble

> Would I be best off expecting to replace all the hinges on that door? The hole size is important! Most hinges of that type use a 35mm hole - as does the one in the reference which you quote.

They all work in much the same way, but there are several detail differences. They all allow the door to open to 90 degrees, but some elaborate ones allow the door to fold back to something approaching 180 degrees. Then some have a quick release action, allowing you to remove the door without using any tools.

Yes, you *would* be advised to replace all the hinges on a door - because it may not open properly if the pivots are not all exactly aligned - which could happen if you use different types.

Reply to
Roger Mills

may be an issue with where the existing screw holes have been placed.

Luckily you should be fine with a generic hinge, but I recently bought some cheap kitchen doors from the Ikea casualty department (£1 each) and only their Integral range (Blum made, and nice) hinges matched the existing hole. To fit something else for me would mean new holes drilled so close to the existing holes making a furture possible stress and failure point.

Reply to
Adrian C

Another job for car body filler

Reply to