Replacement keys or drilling locks!

I have been given a steel cabinet that will prove ideal as a lockable tool store when I can unlock it! Unfortunately the key is lost - this is why the cabinet was being dumped.

Does anyone know a source of replacement keys for a Union lock; type MWC number 120353

I once encountered a site selling keys for filing cabinets but can't find it again

The alternative is to drill the lock out and fit a hasp and padlock. If I have to go down that route would anyone be able to advise where to drill? I can supply photos of the cabinet.

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Strangely enough many shoe repairers do key cutting and can order replacement keys for any lock for which the type and number is known.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I just gave my local locksmith the lock details when I needed a key for an industrial cabinet. It came in the post a couple of weeks later.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I wonder how much these services depend on the location of the lockmakers Union, Yale and Chubb.

I was suprised to learn that these three companies were one and the same. And now they are off to Asia. No doubt to set up a factory in a Chinese prison.

At least it may stop cowboy site owners from supplying the crap locks that we have to fit. (There is one particular nasty - NER or something, that costs about £5 as compared to £20 for a British equivalent. Not counting call out fees to a locksmith to open the door every so often that is.)

Why we refrain from using the same sort of security that site storage units use is beyond me.

If I had the facilities I'd design some sort of imitation brick or block that is built into the frame reveal and contains a reciever for some sort of sturdy bar that fits on the doors in my house.

Any ideas?

(Besides the only market for them being crooks, and police forces buying one or two for training purposes that is.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Where I work I could get you a key cut to that code within 24 hours.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Er, is that an offer? And would I be able to take advantage of it?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage