Replacement Hot Water Cyclinder: How much?

My hot water cyclinder's just given up the ghost. As we've got a very young baby & no hot water I won't have time to get lots of quotes or wait for the guy I've used before to become available.

I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay? I live near Kingston in SW London. It's an indirect cylinder, 1050 mm x 400 mm. I'm expecting to have to replace the thermostat & immersion at the same time, plus some of the pipework is probably be pretty old as well.

From looking round I'm expecting about =A3500 - =A3600 for this kind of a

job - does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Michael

PS Any recommendations for someone reliable in the Kingston / Wimbledon area would be much appreciated.

Reply to
michaeld121

Why not fit it yourelf .It's a straightford enough job if the cylinder is the same size.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Cylinder £110 Immersion with stat £15

3 hrs work (max) £150

So £275 is a good bet.

Reply to
Roger Cain

WTF do you buy your plumbing supplies? Even at Screwfix prices it adds up to around £350, then you have to add labour, so £500 doesn't sound that bad IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm about to take one down the metal merchants... Nottingham area.

Reply to
visionset

In my case Wickes. About three months ago replaced my cylinder and immersion heater. Cylinder £115, Immersion heater £23, £15 inhibitor. With Teflon tape and other sundries say £150. Don't know about 3 hours work, drain down took a heck of a time for me but once drained down about two/three hours to replace and reprime.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

wrote: My hot water cyclinder's just given up the ghost. As we've got a very young baby & no hot water I won't have time to get lots of quotes or wait for the guy I've used before to become available.

I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay? I live near Kingston in SW London. It's an indirect cylinder, 1050 mm x 400 mm. I'm expecting to have to replace the thermostat & immersion at the same time, plus some of the pipework is probably be pretty old as well.

From looking round I'm expecting about £500 - £600 for this kind of a job - does that sound reasonable?

[ ===================== ]

Yes, sounds about right for parts, labour and VAT for London, especially if the radiators need draining down and refilling, and some of pipes to and from the new tank need altering.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

There speaks a man *without* a very young baby...

David

Reply to
Lobster

The screwfix 1050x450 cylinder is about 190 quid, including the immersion. Other suppliers can manage a 1050x400, for about the same price.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Here speaks a man with no sort of baybeeeeeee...lol

Reply to
Stuart

Things made of copper have risen substantially in cost in the last year. A bundle of pipe now is over twice what it was a few years ago.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Its not a bad price at the moment £2.00 per kilo for clean copper, £1.80 for brassery, that includes cylinders, and £1.00 per kilo for brass. That from the yard near basford crossings.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yeah don't I friggin know it!!

Reply to
visionset

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

check the prices today!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Indeed. Copper is a rapidly changing commodity. It is slackening off a bit though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the comments. I've found someone through a recommendation & his quote (bearing in mind some other bits I've asked for) is pretty much in line with the comments in this thread. At least I can be fairly confident I'm probably not being ripped-off price wise.

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121