replacement front door decisions

We've had an Anglian uPVC front door & sidelight for just over 10 years. The locking mechanism has become troublesome and I've had to adjust/tighten it several times and have latterly had someone come out under our home insurance domestic emergency cover when we were faced with being unable to lock/unlock it.

I've just been quoted £125 by Anglian for them to come out and take a look at it but they commented that 'as it's so old there will no longer be parts available for it' so they doubt there'll be anything they can do! This sounds like cr*p as companies like

&
all sell uPVC mechanisms.

However, I have doubts that the door is worth spending further money on & SWMBO would prefer a hardwood door & frame.

The nearest hardwood door supplier/fitter quoted reasonably and appeared competent at first but in a conversation yesterday told us that the frame & door would be untreated when fitted (with the door furniture attached to the untreated door???) and we would be left to complete that.

I'm unconvinced that sealing the bottom edge of an external door in-situ is feasible let alone the usual way of working???

Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations etc. welcomed...

Reply to
d_s_or_j

No big deal removing the door furniture to do the finishing. I just rub candle wax into the bottom edge, which is usually doable in situ. IME no surface coating comes anywhere near it terms of longevity and water resistance. Not pretty, but effective in hidden areas. I did mention on here recently that I wouldn't fancy an engineered hardwood wood door in an exposed location. Certainly round here, those without a porch look pretty sorry for themselves after a couple of years, especially the varnished ones.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ok - so just loosen the furniture to apply the finish? - thanks Stuart.

You'd suggest going with uPVC again? I really can't face dealing with a DG saleperson again!

The door is inset about 2ft from the front of the house so it's quite sheltered. What are the better alternatives to varnish?

Reply to
d_s_or_j

This is quite normal, IME a chippy always hangs doors before they have any kind of treatment. You could ask him to have the new door delivered to you a week in advance of the job so that you can treat it yourself, but he may not like having to work with a finished door, especially if you're planning to use gloss paint. If you're having a new frame fitted at the same time then he shouldn't have to do too much planing and sawing to fit it, so in theory you could do most of the finishing in advance.

Reply to
pcb1962

I prefer to take the furniture off altogether. Nothing complicated. Putting 3 or 4 coats of anything on a front door at this time of year is a pain though. Leaving it ajar for 12 hours at a time to let the edges dry is fine if you never go anywhere :-)

Plenty of local firms will fit a front door (pvc or wood) for £500, and IME there's no difference in quality from a national type firm like Anglia. If pvc even remotely suits the house, I'd go with that again. I'm in a line of terraced houses, all with wooden doors, so I did the decent thing.

Mine is protected too but, having looked round the neighbourhood and seen all the treacle effect varnished finishes, I went for dark green paint. At least it'll look the same in 5 years time, unlike any varnished door I've ever seen.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It needs less maintenace for sure... Find a local company that has been trading for the last 10/20 years or so rather than one of the high pressure sales national franchises.

Direct sunlight is the normal kiler for surface finishes. What gets me is things that call themselves "stains" but are just a surface finish. To me a "stain" is something that soaks into the timber to colour and/or protect it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A lot of people like the yellow/brown colour of a new wooden door, and think a clear varnish will be just the job. Alas, the *real* colour of the wood only becomes apparent when it is covered with a film that reflects light, so it pays to wipe the surface with white spirit to see what effect a "clear" finish is likely have. In the case of sapele, this will probably be a lot darker and redder than anticipated.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You should consider a Fiberglass door as a replacement to wood or upvc.

Mark

We have a steel skinned front door. Looks like wood from a distance, but it has a steel skin on front and back and a double glazed panel in it. Seems sturdy and in it's nine years of life, hasn't deteriorated. Could do with a lick of paint though, next year.

Davey

Reply to
Owain

Noted & located. Both uPVC and wood companies. Both local and around a long time. Just spoken to the latter and the guy seemed much more clued up than the original I contacted. He has a slot next week to quote.

Is it reasonable to assume that I'll get what I pay for when it comes to choice of protective finish?

Incidentally I've just come across the term Part L compliance in relation to thermal insulation. Is this worth paying the extra for?

Reply to
d_s_or_j