Replacement for Potterton Kingfisher

I have a Potterton Kingfisher CF150 in a well ventilated cellar, with a double skin flue exiting up the outside of the house. It is 23 years old but working excellently. The first bit of vertical flue is not the prescribed length to meet modern regulations due to the relative heights of the floor mounted boiler housing and ceiling / exit route of the flue, however there is no spillage.

As I travel abroad a bit on business this is on a British Gas maintenance contract incase anything happens when I'm away. On each annual burner clean and inspection they whinge about the flue not meeting current regs though also admit it is perfectly safe.

If I were to have a replacement boiler, presumably it would have to be a condensing one to meet the efficiency regs, and room sealed. Is there a suitable boiler 'out there' that could be installed in this situation, perhaps with a fan exhaust to ease installation in this 'below ground' situation?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Most condensing boilers have various flue options which may do what you want. IN particular most have twin-pipe options which would let you run the flue up high with the air intake separately just enough to get out of the basement

Reply to
John Stumbles

My only additional comments would be that the new boiler will eventually pay for itself and it's installation. The house is probably a small mansion. A condensate pump like the Sanicondens unit can be usede to over come condensate disposal problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

eventually

Gas Fitting Standards Docs here:
really a mansion, but an Edwardian 7 bed detached on three floors plus cellar totalling about 5000 sq ft and the bills to go with it

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In relative terms, that's a small mansion :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suppose that's the difference between a CF and RS if it really needs a clean out once a year - my RS Kingfisher gets done about every five or so and never really needs it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

content*

The only time I think it actually NEEDED a clean out was the time a hedgehog found its way into the burner area !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's a semantic difference. I call a 7 bed house a small mansion.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Our Kingfisher is 34 years old... I don't know the model number, but it's floor standing and also has flue problems (the flue is about 1m from the back door, which isn't allowed any more). We've been looking at the Ideal Mexico as a suitable replacement:

floor standing boilers available on the Government's subsidised boiler scheme has been tricky - this was one of the only ones we found.

Don't know if it's any use to you. BTW, /don't/ ask British Gas to replace it - in our experience they quote 50-100% more for the same job.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos