Replacement doors for kitchen units

I can't afford a new fitted kitchen. So I have been thinking about an el cheapo option -- replacement doors for the units. I could even conceivably buy these second hand, maybe from some rich toff who has updated their kitchen with new units.

Anyone been down this road? Any gotchas to look for -- all my units seem to be 300mm wide or multiples of. The only potential problem I can see is hanging the doors so they close smoothly.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

AFAIK, the likes of B&Q and MFI will sell you just the doors if you ask.

One thing to look out for is that the hinge holes are in the same places..I dunno if these are standard or not.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Thanks, I'll check this option.

Do all units come in standard sizes? Are all worktops a standard height off the floor and overhead units have doors of standard size?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I think Wickes have slightly taller doors than, say, B&Q and MFI ( 730mm v.

720mm ), so be careful.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

You can buy doors from B&Q, and probably some of the other sheds. 300mm and 600mm are common widths, but not all units are the same height - most are, but not all. Measure one of your doors, and compare the dimensions with shop ones.

The hinge holes will probably not be in the right place. In which case, it's preferable to use the pre-drilled hinge holes in the new doors, and make new holes in your units for the hinges.

Why do you think closing smoothly would be a problem?

Reply to
Grunff

Previous experience of MFI flat-pack wardrobes and the like. Fitting and aligning the doors sometimes takes a bit of experimentation. Same with the drawers, they tend to sag after a bit -- probably because its cheap stuff.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I did this just under two years ago and bought doors from B+Q White Gloss Range, I am delighted with them. The hinges and holes all matched exactly. They do the sizes you need. Was in B+Q yesterday and they are on sale just now at 50% off. You can get two 300mm doors for £23 check it out here

sure why doors wouldn't close smoothly but B+Q also sell door buffers for £5 for 5

Regards Bob

Reply to
robert

Or there are companies that come & fit new doors/cover carcass areas with matchinh laminate. Post back if you need link; know good one that operates South of England

Reply to
Gel

ime the hinges just need readjusting when things stop lining up. Its not difficult.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Doors are generally standard for Base and Wall units.

715 mm x 300,400,500,600

You only need to make sure the counter bored holes for the hinges are on the correct side if of the door if has an arch at the top or something (ie if the door pattern is just rectangular then it can be turned upside down and be the same door but with hinges on the other side!!).

As for the doors shutting correctly. As long as your units are square (even a bit off) the hinges will be fully adjustable ,, in out, left right, up down.

Depending on how old your hinges are it may be better buying new ones that are easier to adjust.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

B&Q do 300, 400, 500 and 600mm doors in full height and door+drawer versions. They also sell separately compatible hinges in regular and 170 degree versions.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Where exactly? France?

Reply to