Replacement battery for a Braun electric toothbrush?

Currently it's a rather tired NiCd of unusual dimensions, has anyone found a supplier of a NiMH replacement?

(And before anyone starts making cracks about lazy bu&&ers that can't brush their own teeth, these things are really good. I was sceptical for years and made my share of scathing comments but, having had a nasty bout of gum disease, my dentist suggested trying one; I was impressed).

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Surely the cost of a new Braun electric toothbrush is now such that it's not worth the hassle of playing games with the battery. The last one I bought was a special offer for only £10 at Sainsbury's. I'm sure you'll find similar offers if you look around.

It's the cost of replacement brushes that is the major expense, much more than the occasional replacement of the whole thing.

By the way I'm just wondering if I'm now likely to wear out my toothbrush batteries more quickly now that I'm sitting the toothbrush on the charger all the time rather than just charging it when it's discharged. Anyone know what sort of rate the chargers use?

Reply to
usenet

They do most of the "industrial" tagged cells in odd sizes.

Reply to
John Rumm

I just (last month or so) bought a standard one for IIRC £8.95 in Boots. Still got the old one because I haven't yet got round to unscrewing the base and disposing of the battery in the approved manner.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Reply to
N. Thornton

So why is it that when you buy a manual toothbrush, you are offered a bewildering range of bristle styles and softnesses, but when you want a new brush for a lecky toothbrush, you just get offered the one type ?

If it's important to have a certain softness when manually brushing, shouldn't electric brushing also require a similar softness ?

Or is it just marketing nonsense ?

Reply to
Roly

In message , Dave writes

Well CPC (there's a link posted in the other battery thread) sell industrial NiMHs, although for ~£20 you could buy a new one

Reply to
raden

In message , N. Thornton writes

The current' one's lasted > 4 years and the charger / base is a convenient place to leave it.

Is it really worth bothering about such things ?

Reply to
raden

SWMBO is a dentist and offered the following advice:- (in order of importance)

Your toothpaste should contain flouride

Brush your teeth at least twice a day. preferably after every meal.

Use any tooth brush you like as long as it had a small head (she uses a cheap electric one)

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

"Nick Brooks" wrote | SWMBO is a dentist and offered the following advice:- (in order | of importance) | Your toothpaste should contain flouride | Brush your teeth at least twice a day. preferably after every meal. | Use any tooth brush you like as long as it had a small head (she uses a | cheap electric one)

I would say that brush after every meal is the most important.

Soot-and-salt was the traditional tooth powder, combining mild abrasive and antibacterial qualities. I'm not convinced that toothpaste does much good apart from minty taste (and I hate the taste of toothpaste) and there are reasons to avoid the use of fluoride.

Avoiding sugary foods is another important thing that can be done. I can remember my boss (a Chief Dental Officer) catching me enjoying a jumbo bar of Cadbury and a can of {a leading cola drink} in the office one lunchtime and exclaiming "do you know ow many tablespoons of sugar are in that" and I responded "the {popular cola drink}'s worse because it's acidic". "Oh you do know about such things then".

When I was little my dentist was firmly of the belief that beer was better for children than {cola drink}.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I just bought one that takes the same heads and 2 AA cells, and put NiMHs in that. They last for weeks (yes, I do brush my teeth!), and when they go down just bung in a freshly charged pair instead of having to perch the brush on its charger and find a mains socket to plug it into (via the 2-pin to 13A adapter, as we don't have a shaver point in the bathroom). It has the bonus that when we go on holiday the toothbrush charger one less item to remember (since we take AAs and a charger anyway for digicams, torches etc).

All I have to do now is dispose of the old NiCd battery - along with a bucket of other dead NiCds I've accumulated over the years. Our local council (Reading) haven't a clue: on a couple of occasions I've phoned their 'recycling' office and been told to 'take them back to the garage I bought them from' (!) and latterly to chuck them into the wheelie bin (!!).

Reply to
John Stumbles

If you're feeling noble, there is a container for dry and rechargeable batteries alongside that for lead acid ones at the Rose Kiln Lane tip.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

We have got through a couple of those (replaced under warranty) because the battery compartment cap split. It is a tight fit to be watertight, but not really strong enough for the task.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon