Replacement battery?

I have an old Bosch cordless screwdriver, whose battery has died of old age. Bosch can't/won't help, can anyone recommend someone who might be able to help? Or should I just trash it?

Reply to
Davey

Unless there's something special about it, it's unlikely to be economic to have it repaired unless you can do it yourself and write-off the time taken.

How old is it, and any idea what type of rechargable battery it takes? I have replaced the NiCDs in my old B&D a couple of times, but I really like it and they don't make them like that anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

+1 replacing cells is fiddly time consuming and surprisingly expensive. The battery is the major cost of a new drill. So unless it is a 'don't make them like that anymore' just get a new one.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was a bequest, amongst lots of tools, from a friend who died, so I don't have any attachment to it other than that. It will get recycled. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Davey

If its 12 volt send it to me. The chuck is broken on the old 12 volt Ingersoll cordless that I converted to corded to run from a car battery.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Well, it can be very satisfying to open up a piece of kit to find a bunch of normal ni cads inside the case and replace them with something more modern and get it back for a few more years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry, 3.6v Model 0603927124. If you think the chuck might fit, I can take a photo and send it to you.

Reply to
Davey

This is a pack, 3.6 volts, that looks as though a replacement could be made up very easily, if only I knew where to go for such. In the US, you just look for your local branch of Batteries-R-Us, and they make up the pack as required, and even install and check it. I haven't found a local branch here in East Anglia, though....

Reply to
Davey

True - but this often costs more than a brand new complete tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

very low volatge that..

Three nickel cells.

is an expensive way to buy cells: there are cheaper ones.

BUT IIRC quality sub C sized Nicads (it will be nicad if its that old) will be about 2-4 quid each.

Hmm. they seem to have almost entirely discontinued Nicads.

If the charger is designed for Nicad, it mau not be safe on NiMh..in which case bin it as you wont be able to find Nicads easily at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the offer but its highly unlikely to fit.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Leaving aside the commments about it being cheaper to buy a new tool, try

grimly4

$ whois a1-battery.co.uk

Domain name: a1-battery.co.uk

Registrant: 3339.com - Golden Spider Network Co., Ltd.

Trading as: PowerSmart Energy Limited

Registrant type: Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address: Unit B, 8/F, Eastern Flower Centre 22-24 Cameron Road, TST TST Hong Kong 00000 Hong Kong

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I didn't seriously expect they'd be made anywhere else, nowadays.

I've had several batteries from them over the past few years and they're all still going strong. From what I can gather, the operational unit is staffed and run by Brits (maybe Chinese Brits :)

Reply to
grimly4

Oh I don't know, I think Sony still make some in Japan, various "oops my laptop is in flames" recalls have depended on the presence or absence of made in Japan/China stickers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A.Lee

my hearing aid batteries are "Made in the UK".

Reply to
charles

That looks helpful, and even if not for this job, worth keeping. Thanks indeed.

Reply to
Davey

I just purchased a half-dozen batteries for several cordless and cell phones from the following company:

arrived in a couple of days and are working as expected.

Far less expensive than Batteries-R-Us, and their like.

Shipping is free.

Reply to
John F. Morse

But they don't appear to do power tool batteries or replacement cells for same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)