Replace Type 1MCB with Type C ?

Short Version.

Does anyone know if you can replace MEM type 1 M6 5A 51QEB circuit breaker with a 6A type C. Will it fit the DIN rail and not foul the cover?

Long Version.

The consumer unit is manufactured by MEM and fitted with rail mounted type 1 breakers.

The lighting circuit has now become subject to nuisance tripping when a light bulb blows. So I want to try replacing the breaker. However being an old type its causing problems.

If this were a more modern unit with a 6A B breaker It would be easy to first try changing it for a 6A C breaker (about £5)

However the type 1 are difficult to source and piece more expensive (£17.64 Newey and Eyre)

Thanks

BillP

Reply to
BillP

Sorry for the re-post didn't set my pc clock correctly first time

Short Version.

Does anyone know if you can replace MEM type 1 M6 5A 51QEB circuit breaker with a 6A type C. Will it fit the DIN rail and not foul the cover?

Long Version.

The consumer unit is manufactured by MEM and fitted with rail mounted type 1 breakers.

The lighting circuit has now become subject to nuisance tripping when a light bulb blows. So I want to try replacing the breaker. However being an old type its causing problems.

If this were a more modern unit with a 6A B breaker It would be easy to first try changing it for a 6A C breaker (about £5)

However the type 1 are difficult to source and piece more expensive (£17.64 Newey and Eyre)

Thanks

BillP

Reply to
BillP

They're obsolete (part of the old British Standard range), and Type 1 breakers were too sensitive for most uses, and there is no equivalent rating in the new EN range. Type B is (roughly) Type 2, and Type C is (roughly) Type 3. I always use Type C breakers for domestic lighting circuits, but even they can trip when a lamp arcs across internally when it dies, depending on cable lengths and how near you are to the supply. If you really want to prevent this, a 5A BS1361 cartidge fuse carrier would be a better prospect.

I can't comment on the ability to fit breakers into older CU's, which is a separate matter. You would need to say what model CU you have, and someone may then know. MEM have changed their ranges over the years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'll get hold of a 6A mcb and offer it up and see.

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
BillP