Replace soil stack/stench pipe with AAV

The Building Regulations, Document H1 sub section 1.31, stipulates that any soil and vent pipe installed externally within three metres of any opening window, is required to terminate a minimum of 900mm above the window. This new development to the traditional internal Air Admittance Valve allows a soil stack fitted with an external Air Admittance Valve to terminate within three metres of a window opening. This allows the pipe to terminate at the same height as if it were installed internally i.e. 200mm minimum above the highest wet entry point to the soil vent pipe. (diagrams a & b). The use of an external Air Admittance Valve eliminates the need for the installer to work and handle pipe above the roof line, making it easier to comply with Work at Height (WAHR) and Manual Handling Regulations.

The Floplast external AAV can terminate below a window if window is 3metres away. This precludes most UK homes. If the stack is nearer than 3 meters to a window then it has to terminate 900mm above the window - may as well dispense of the external AAV then.

Look at HepVos

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You were saying HepVos do not work when a toilet is on the stack. They do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

bollocks - where?

you have said in this very thread :-

"Look at HepVO traps on all sanitary appliances,and do away with the whole stack"

a bog is a sanitary appliance yet no HepVO is going to fit it - is it?

anyway the OP can;t do away with the *whole* stack as he will need some for the bog to connect to!?.. simples! ;>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:14:38 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" wibbled:

Although these are useful if they get you out of a sticky situation, personally I think they're a crap idea if you have the option of an open vent as is most usually the case with an external stack (OP's complain excepted).

An open vent with a bird-grill on top has almost nothing that can go wrong with it.

Also, the bit about working above the roofline is bollocks. Generally, IME, the last clip supporting the pipe is below the roofline. Adding the bit above the roofline is generally no more difficult than pre assembling a bit of pipe (about a metre or so) with 2 45 degree couplers (preferably solvent weld for rigidity) to offset round any guttering and a bird mesh on the top. Up the ladder, this is fixed (solvent weld again best) to the top of the stack. Even easier would be to make up a 2m section including the offset and plug it in a push fit coupler, securing the new part with a couple of clips to the wall.

I can see these things being in demand so that internal stacks don't need to perforate the roof (vent from the loft) but even there, I think there's going to be less long term grief taking them outside. AAVs are going to fail sooner or later so they introduce a maintenance issue. Certainly had no trouble with the first approach with mine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You are obviously quite thick and a know-it-all. I directed you to the Hepwroth site, yet you still type back bollox. All is there. No stack above the wc is permitted using HepVo's

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are right about getting around the gutters. It is easy to do and you don't need to get on the roof.

I believe they will allow 80mm above the point where no water will enter the stack, for venting. I once saw a 110mm stack enter the loft then go to

80mm. It went across the joists and out via the eves, doing down and up around the gutter using elbows and a bird cage on top. The roof tiles were not penetrated. It is only venting. I am not sure if it legal. It had a tee with a short piece and access plug, rather than an elbow, on the external vertical section. I assumed this was to remove any debris than may have fallen down the vent and collected at the bottom of the loop. It must have saved a ton of time and expense rather than take up a roof tile which needs staging access. All he had was a footed ladder.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:35:32 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" wibbled:

It was one bit of the building regs I did read in some detail.

Yes - technically 75mm - but that has obviously been chosen so that any variant on 80/82mm pipe will do even if those are outside diameters and the regs call for inside diameters...

Bizarre but functional. The worst it will do is get some water in the lowest bit, but that will clear if its services are required.

Mine isn't even directly from a wet stack (those all appear under various parts of the floor). Mine is a separate vent pipe directly teed off the furthest leg of the underground drains close to where a loo couples in close to the 1st inspection chamber (convenient - needed to retro fit the vent, found a tee in the pipe for a gulley drain - removed gulley and connected vent with a 82mm adaptor underground).

Reply to
Tim Watts

and you fail to appreciate the context of anything that does not immediately agree with your (universally derided) utterings.

still bollocks - where did i say that?

put up or shut the F up...

enough said.

Reply to
JimK

You nothing of HepVo's and are very thick. This is a poor combination and what have written is overt proof of this combination. Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
JimK

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

Thats why I can't find them then;)..

Well a lot of the time when I need stuff like that I need it now and more often than not will go and get it from a decent local BM here who's prices when you haggle a bit will come close to or very near those online. Plus there are some very product knowledgeable people there too..

Plus you haven't got to hang around waiting for delivery wagons to turn up...and than if you need to exchange something as its not quite the right bit or you can take that bit with you and compare it with wheat they have etc...or if it goes wrong then you've got to bag it up to return etc.

Which is the biggest bug bear of buying online and they never seem to get that any more user friendly..

Same with a lot of other stuff like computer bits we have World of Computers here who's prices are around those online and by the time you've factored in delivery costs etc..

Course not everyone might be so well served;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:48:03 +0000, tony sayer wibbled:

True - at least you know what to beat them (BM) down to. Some of ours would charge 40 quid for a 110 AAV.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have HepVo throughout on my place avoided dual stacks.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I used HepVo which meets requirements of an AAV ... all mine came from trade counter at BSS

Reply to
Rick Hughes