Replace conservatory roof with timber

I'm planning to replace the polycarbonate roof on my uPVC conservatory with a traditional "flat" timber roof, plus a skylight. IIRC, the rule of thumb was:

joist thickness in inches = 2" + (0.5 x (span in feet))

Has anyone got access to the tables to calculate the joists?

Has anyone else done this? Can uPVC windows take the extra load?

Reply to
Nige

You do realise that this would probably be illegal under building regulations? Basically, it would no longer be a conservatory and would need to comply with the entire myriad of building regulations, including insulation, which may not be possible with the fully glazed walls. The foundations would be a particular worry, too.

Assuming that you just don't care about the regs, I would have suspected that the uPVC frames would be a bit marginal to hold the roof up, but this is only a guess. Why do you want to replace the polycarbonate? Perhaps there is another solution?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ever been under one when it rains?

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Yes, which is why I ordered double glazed glass for my conservatory roof. This removes the noise situation AND the conservatory stays a conservatory for building regulation purposes. (and it is much cleaner, better insulated, more attractive, properly transparent...)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

glass is much quieter.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It seems not. I've had some more info from my local Building Inspector, I've also found a link to an extract from Building Regulations Approved Document A which may be of interest to the OP of the thread "Conservatory Roof Support".

First the Building Inspector:

I would advise that a conservatory would be exempt under the building regulations Regulation 9 exempt buildings and work class vii extensions if the conservatory meets the following criteria:- i. The conservatory is at ground level. ii. The conservatory floor cover less than 30m2 iii. The glazing in critical locations is safety glazing and iv. The conservatory is separated from the house by permanent construction, ie doors. The Building Regulations are not specific on what constitutes a conservatory, but the guidance in Approved Document L refers to conservatories having not less than three quarters of the area of the roof and not less than one half of the area of its external walls made translucent material. Note that this reference in relation to the extent of glazing is only guidance and would not effect the exemption.

Ceilings and Flat Roofs timber sizes info as follows:

Reply to
Nige