Repairing scratches on Sandblasted glass

I have a door panel with sandblasted glass panels (in order to obscure them). Whilst it was installed the sandblasted areas picked up some scuffs which will not come off with a clean. It is evident these are scratches in the glass.

It looks awful.

Other than taking the door to a sandblaster and having it reblasted, are there any other options?

Could I potentially spray some kind of obscurer spray over the top to lessen the impact of the scuff marks?

Any clues on how to solve this would be great.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
KiTT

I have polished out scratches using cerium oxide on a leather disk mounted in an electric drill. Use the rough side of the leather and don't breathe in the cerium oxide as it's not good for you. Don't keep the disk on the same small area too long or the glass will overheat.

Reply to
Matty F

Wouldn't that "Polish" the sandblasted side?

If it was mine I would take the pane to a local sandblaster and have them re blast it gently.

Reply to
RW

No, that's likely to make a grit-blasted are look _less_ obscured - like putting water onto it.

What may work is careful application of a matt-finish etching frosting compound, which uses hydrofluoric acid. It's horribly toxic stuff, so somewhat hard to find, but it is available through the "craft" industries. Try to keep the application area small, as it's also likely to change the appearance of the blasted area a little. Test a small spot first. Read the safety warnings too, this stuff is dead nippy.

If you try to match blasted glass by blasting it again, it also helps to use the same media as previously (assuming it was grit-blasted not chemically etched) as this can also give a variation in appearance. Transmission isn't too different, but the reflectivity of the blasted side varies a lot depending on how it was done.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You are correct, I didn't read it properly. Since I'm such a s cheapskate I would try using some fine emery paper in a vibrating sander. And if that doesn't work take it to a sandblaster.

Reply to
Matty F