Repairing potholes - how?

I'm not. But I will if you pay me. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I think we fare worse due to the frequent freeze / thaw cycles. Colder countries freeze, and stay frozen for a longer time.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

since

Not to mention hitting a pothole at 70mph is some what differnt to a similar sized one at 30mph. At night you probably won't have enough time to make any sensible/safe evasive manouver. Even in daylight by the time you've sussed out that that dark mark on the road is hole you won't have much time.

And I suspect there is a square law between the rate of damage increase and traffic speed. The forces from fast moving traffic are going to so much higher.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stupid question time here.

What do they call the hammer that is used to tamp down the tarmac into the repaired area. It is as high as waist hight and must be at least 28 pounds and is used to compress the tarmac into the damaged area.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On current reports that is not certain.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think the proper name for it is a "punner" and the act of using it to compact asphalt is "punning".

If you accidentally hit your toe with it while using it, it tends to get called by some rather more colourful names. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, it is approximately proportional to the square of the speed, and I believe also to the fourth power of the axle load.

Reply to
Bruce

:-)

FWIW I meant arguing in a positive sense in that message.

Of course it's all irrelevant to me - my vote makes no difference in a general election.

Reply to
Clive George

A world recession which started in the US is the fault of Brown. Didn't think this little ol' country was that important anymore...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup - you can certainly start from my back garden. Always wanted ground source heating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It started both here *and* in the US.

Remember that Northern Rock got into trouble before Lehman Brothers: Northern Rock's problems became apparent in September 2007. Lehman Brothers' problems didn't become apparent until September 2008.

Britain is particularly important because our financial services sector has a global reach. The City of London lends and invests all over the world, so when the City sneezes, people in a great many countries catch a cold.

The US made exactly the same mistake as the UK in deregulating the financial services industry in the late 1990s. The two governments each saw what the other was intending to do and decided to go even further in terms of deregulation in order to compete.

The problem is that both countries were, and are, unusually dependent (by world standards) on their financial services sectors to deliver a significant proportion of their GDP plus high levels of employment and large amounts of tax. The sector of the UK economy that has seen the biggest reduction in tax take since 1998 is the financial services sector.

Only when the financial sector recovers will UK PLC recover from the recession. That's why punishing the financial sector (for a failure of regulation by the government) would be counter-productive.

Reply to
Bruce

Thus spake Bruce ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Oh dear, what better excuse can there be for pun artists to hijack this thread.

Let's not go down that road.... doh!

Reply to
A.Clews

Reply to
Huge

Lord, you didn't actually *believe* that nonsense about the recession being the fault of the US, did you?

Besides, there are issues completely seperate from the recession; there is a structural deficit in this country caused by the State routinely spending more than it 'earns' (steals).

Reply to
Huge

Sorry, should have been 2008.

Reply to
Bruce

We've only scratched the surface so far.

Reply to
Bruce

bearing in mind where we're heading for it may get a bit more "whiffy" than the odd fox s*1t (that is til the fireworks do the er.. "job")....you OK with that?

Reply to
JimK

That makes great sense.

Reply to
GB

And what about the damage done to the hole by the car? I'm being serious here. If the edge of the hole is hit by a car tyre at 70MPH it's going to extend the hole faster than if the car is doing 30.

Reply to
GB

That's what I was talking about and I'm reasonably sure the square of the speed and fourth of the axle load in relation to road damage is about right.

As to cars, hitting a 2" deep 12" long pot hole at 70 may well deflate the tyre and damage the wheel. Alloys may simply shatter, steel tends to just bend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice