Repairing potholes - how?

I noticed a considerable number of potholes all along a section of the M1 last week as I was driving down to Luton from N Leics. They were along many sections of the motorway and affecting both newish and old sections. I was quite surprised as my experience has generally been similar to yours.

Reply to
Clot

thing called?

mind I expect the canny "business man" has priced it at 10 whole pounds less than the cost of doing it the "old" way as described above....brown's britain...

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

They have holes in the roads, and much patching. Studded tyres also wear the surface.

Of course if it's below freezing all the time you don't suffer freeze-thaw in the same way.

Reply to
Clive George

The best way to prolong the recession is to hit the bankers.

I don't like them any more than you do, but there isn't any other sector of the economy that is going to get UK PLC out of the hole that we're in, so the last thing we should do is punish them or frighten them away.

The people who *should* be punished are the Labour politicians who dismantled the strict regulation of the banking industry at the end of the 1990s and into the 2000s and replaced it with an unmanaged free-for-all of unfettered greed. And we know where that got us.

You will get the chance to eject Brown and Co. from office at the next General Election. Make sure you use it.

Reply to
Bruce

Can you tell me which party wouldn't have done the same? I would like to know who to vote for - Greens, SWP, who else?

Reply to
Clive George

Presumably more cost/time is put into maintaining motorways and main roads

Reply to
chris French

I'd never thought about it, but that makes sense. As the salt melts the stuff on top (it doesn't actually melt it, it lowers its melting point so it will melt at the ambient temperature), it'll need energy to change from ice to water (latent heat of fusion). It's like the old way of making ice-cream, adding salt to ice to melt it, so that it absorbs energy and gets even colder, bringing down the temperature of the container that its surrounding and cooling the contents.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I wonder if the fast repairs stops water spreading further under the surface and prevents follow on damage?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

better they'd be repaired if all the utilities were held responsible for all future repair costs to and just around their original repair until such time as the road is resurfaced?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Medway Council reckon it costs £300 per pothole. I did e mail offering to do 2 a day for £250 each, but they didn't reply.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Conservatives liberalised the City of London with what was widely termed the "Big Bang" back in 1986. That set the City on a path of sustained expansion. Its contribution to the UK's GDP grew and grew.

But the Conservatives knew that the freedom they had given the City meant that strong regulation would be needed, so they put that in place. As the regulation was looser than before, they monitored it to ensure its effectiveness.

The problems started when Labour's shadow Treasury team, which then consisted of Brown, G. and Blair, T, decided they needed to curry favour with the City who had been very distrustful of Labour for many years. Brown and Blair were persuaded by the bankers to loosen the regulation of the City in order that stock and currency market traders could use bank depositors' money to gamble on risky derivatives such as traded options. In return they would tacitly support Labour, or at least not publicly oppose the party.

Brown and Blair agreed, and the loosening happened within two years of Labour being elected, in 1999. The result of this was probably inevitable - it is the worst recession that this country's economy has ever seen. Worst of all, the downturn is much worse (and will be much more prolonged) here in Britain than in any other of the world's top

20 economies.

And it is all Labour's fault. Specifically, it is Gordon Brown's fault as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

So now you know who not to vote for. As to who you should vote for, that's your choice, but I know who I will not be voting for, for the reasons stated above. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

you may have a point - was it the V W boss who said recently, more or less exactly:- "you English are conducting a very interesting experiment basing your entire economy on cutting each others hair"...

Afraid he may have a point too....

indeed but sadly the next lot will make just as much of a balls up in another (previously unexploited) way...

Best method for a tunnel under the Houses? NB I found some spare fireworks in me garage last week....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

That's the idea. A quick stopgap repair prevents further damage and can be left until the resources are available to effect a permanent repair.

There are fast setting materials that are used on asphalt airport runways where damage quickly spreads if left unrepaired. I believe that similar materials are also used on motorways. I'm not sure because it is some years since I worked in that field.

Reply to
Bruce

You have hit the nail on the head. By far the biggest problem facing highway authorities is the variable and often atrocious standard of reinstatement of trenches after installation or replacement of services.

This problem worsened dramatically after the utilities were privatised. Until then, in most areas there were only six or seven "statutory undertakers" who were allowed to dig a hole in the road.

Currently, there are *over a hundred* organisations who are allowed to do this. The inevitable result is that standards have plummeted.

Reply to
Bruce

You've still not even slightly persuaded me that the Tories wouldn't have done the same given the same circumstances. The loosening of those regulations seems to me to have been a time thing, not a political thing.

Reply to
Clive George

It goes back a long way. Napoleon Bonaparte famously described the English as "a nation of shopkeepers".

And that was long before the advent of mega-shopping centres like those at Gateshead, Trafford, Meadowhall, Westfield, Lakeside and Bluewater, and out-of-town retail parks with DIY sheds and Toys'R'Us.

Well, that's true. But I am in denial about that, as otherwise I would probably want to shoot myself.

Let's start digging a new Tube line. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I wasn't trying to persuade you. You are perfectly capable of making up your own mind.

Absolutely not. It was a deliberate political act, implemented as part of a backroom deal between Labour and the City prior to the 1997 General Election.

Labour tried to do something similar with Formula 1 motor racing, agreeing to exempt it for a number of years from the ban on tobacco advertising in return for a £1 million donation to the Labour Party.

Of course Labour were found out, and had to give back the £1 million. But Formula 1 still got its exemption.

Reply to
Bruce

wink wink indeed ;>)

OK I'll get me shovel - whose garden are we starting from - "Dave" is in SW london (with the foxes) isn't he?....

Reply to
JimK

If you're not trying to persuade, why are you arguing at all?

The only reason the Tories didn't do the same thing was that they didn't have the chance - they weren't in power. They're not magically keener at regulation than the current lot. The same backroom deal would have happened with them.

The deregulation we're talking about was driven by ideas and timing, not politicians. The theories behind the risks the banks were taking, and the technology behind the tools which enabled them to be taken were all happening at a given time - the deregulation just followed naturally, and no politician could have stopped it. Same here as in the US.

And the same would have happened with whoever was in power who banned tobacco advertising. But that's not related to the crash we're talking about.

Reply to
Clive George

Im in the US where it get real cold -20f and then it thaws and we get alot of potholes. They fix them in the cold at around 32f-0c but the mix isdifferent than summer, they do hold up as its done on the highways as well. So the guy doing the repairs didnt know what he was doing and probably used the wrong product.

Reply to
ransley