Repairing Play Station Console Cable

The kids let their rabbit chew the cable of the play station console so I was going to join the wires so at least it would work but at least one of the cables is fibre so I am assuming that this is now now completely useless. I was a bit surprised to find fibre and not all copper wires.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

There is no optical fibre is any PS or PS2 cable - are you sure you're not looking at the reinforcement strands?

Reply to
Grunff

No, at least one of them is an insulated cable. I was very surprised when I cut back the insulation not to find copper but what appeared to be fibre. The cable did have loads of strands of string in it aswell. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Which cable is it?

alex

Reply to
Alex

Which PS and which cable?

Reply to
Grunff

You can use an optical out on a PSX2 for audio I believe.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Yes, but that is an optical port. The OP is implying a multi-wire cable with a fibre strand.

Reply to
Grunff

Is it fibre as in "optical fibre" or fibre as in that "insulated nylon string with added wire strands" that used to be common in telephone leads etc?

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

If it was fibre it would be obvious by the connector. It wouldn't just be pins.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The fiber is simply to add strength and robustness. It has no other purpose.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Second that. It's probably "lacing cord" Search on rswww.com for 554-080

Breaking strain 4.5Kg (10 lb) to avoid damage caused by squabbles between players a.k.a. "Leave off! It's my go!!!!" (tm)

-- Adrian C

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

It's not so much breaking strain. The important thing is to stop the strain getting onto the copper. This stops the copper work hardening and fracturing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've had another look under a magnifying glass at the cable and there is a copper, I'll use the word loosely, cable in it. There is an extremely fine copper thread with some sort of fibre strengthening. I think I stand zero chance of soldering it so it looks as though its for the bin. No wonder my DVD scart cable packed up if it is made from the same stuff. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

If it's ordinary SCART cable it's just a mixture of co-ax, multi-core and single wires. There's no strain improvers as it's not expected to be moved often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There will be a multi-stranded enamelled copper wire, or several, intermingled with the string. You tin this by running the end of the bundle through a cool flame, after removing the string. Then polish the end with some cardboard pulled along the wire. Then twist and solder as normal. a

Reply to
Ian Stirling