Repairing plasterboard joint

In a couple of my rooms there are several cracks and ripples along the surface of the plasterboard join at the internal corners of the walls, as shown here:

advice on the best way to repair this?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Allen

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Jeff Allen"

Reply to
Roger Mills

It looks like the joint it taped and presumably the plasterboard isn't plastered. I think you're going to have to peel the tape off for starters. Repair after that depends what's underneath. I would consider making the corner good with a flexible filler or decorator's flexible chalking. You could try retaping it, but the same might happen again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It looks to me like its been papered actually, and the paper has split.

Take off the paper and find out whats going on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is a sign that the wall has cracked and it may be a major structural headache. Get an expert in if you don't have the brass neck to remove the plasterboard. If you are competent and not easily broken, rip half a sheet off both sides with a small saw and a hammer and bolster.

Hopefully there will be no major wall damage, just a reason for not listening to me in future. Replace as for fixing plasterboard. At least you only need half a sheet.

Have you been drinking?

If not, why not?

OK; take the blasted stuff off piecemeal. I hope I am wrong. And nothing it going to do worse harm than what is already done.

If it is an old house it could be storm damage or dry rot causing the walls to collapse. You might be able to sue someone or make a claim. I have no idea.

If it is a new house it could be anything from the rot or storm damage above, to settlement, cowboy builders, wet wood drying, or that tin crap being foisted off as a viable alternative to traditional building material. (OK, I doubt it is the latter but I just wanted to rant at that reprehensible and irredeemable malady.)

It could even be caused by a roof beam failure pushing the wall(s) out. That would explain the number of walls damaged. Has a previous tenant removed some beams in the loft or stored a ton of stuff in there? The latter will be difficult to see let alone prove. Bent or failed fixings might show up.

More camera work and some detail would help. Just telling us it's "two rooms" hardly constitutes a description. In fact these days "a couple" is so loose a description as far as conveying that exact number.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That pattern's due to a shear movment between the 2 sheets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Caused by . . . ?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Subsidence on one wall.

It reminds me of this house.Or rather the house I tore down to make way for this one.

ALL the cracks had been literally papered over to sell it. The wet floorboards where the rising damp was had tescos plastic bags under the carpets to stop it getting into the carpets.

Beams dad been sliced thriugh to make doorways, and one ceiling was held up by artex and woodchip.

Still it hung together long enough fo me to save up for he new one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher