Repairing old coving

Sometime in the past the coving round my bay window has been removed (probably because the bay ceiling had got damp and collapsed).

Can someone please advise me what the best way to copy and replace the non-standard victorian coving.

Thanks

Reply to
chudford

Shove a pic of it somewhere and lets see what it looks like?

There is one outer corner of my living room coving which is not standard either and has been broken of and gone forever(See thread:I've gone bananas) I have a plan but it might no do yours?

Reply to
George

Have a look at this site

they do your coving or a close match then your simplest option is to buy some ready made lengths and stick it up

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

There are companies who remake coving to match what is there already but as I understand that's an expensive process. I guess from what you say it's a fairly long piece so what I have seen suggested will probably not do .It was for repairs....get a profile former and fit it up to the existing coving to get the profile and transfer that to a piece of ply and cut it to the shape ...plaster up the area to be repaired and run the plywood along it to shape the plaster ...building it up in sstages...that's basically what to do but as I said that's just for repairs . You might neeed to just replace everything with ready made matching coving if getting a piece made proves too expensive . .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

Assuming we are talking about a coving patten that could be "extruded" (i.e. no twiddly bits) then the difficult way is to plaster it back in place using a former cut to match the original.

The other approach is to build yourself a nice smooth right angled trough from some ply etc. Make it the right width to accommodate the cove across the longest diagonal, lay in some reinforcing material (strip of expanded metal lath etc), and then pour in casting plaster. as it goes off draw the ply template (cut to match the cove ) along the trough to shape it. You may need to build it up in layers. Complex coves may need to be made in sections.

Reply to
John Rumm

You dont have to copy the coving ie find a suitable replacement that will compliment the old coving and replace just in the bay window area itself a sort of feature if you like. I've seen this happen on a few occasions in bay window areas and it does look ok.

Other than that create a curtain pelmet around the bay window at ceiling height and this will hide the damage.

Reply to
George