Repairing missing putty: have I sinned?

I'm re-painting some old windows, and as I was sanding up, some putty fell out (two pieces - about an inch long each).

I looked in my toolshed, and there it was, winking at me: Ronseal wood filler (white). I wetted a palette knife, and applied the mixture. I'm now waiting for it to dry (two hours). I then plan to sand it down and paint as if nothing had happened.

Will this come back to haunt me? I didn't want to use putty because of the drying time.

Reply to
BlueJohn

Its called ingenuity and it may come back and 'haunt you' or it may not, just suck and see as they say - and I would say given the size there would be no problem - hell I used car body filler to fill large rot holes in door frames etc in the long-ago past to great effect.....

A little tip that I picked many years ago was to mix the putty with a little gloss paint to speed up the drying time, but I must admit that I never used it on windows - I only used it on filling small holes and blemishes in the woodwork before painting.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I thought the idea behind putty was that it doesn't dry. You paint it to keep it a bit soft so that it maintains a seal. Old dry putty falls out and the window leaks IME. IANAG.

Reply to
dennis

I am not a goat?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

glazier. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

You might as well have removed the rest (by blowing gently on it)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

ah :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nor Tortoise?

Are you a cat?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It's best to knock all the loose stuff off even levering off the stuff that isn't bonded to the framework. You can use fresh putty and paint it immediately. The ideal is to get it painted before three weeks pass in order to preserve it. I have no idea why or how.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer