repairing minor damage to car door

Having been prevented by my NHS employer from parking in the empty staff car park at night (this change of policy clearly being part of their strategy to improve staff retention) I have taken to parking in side streets. Unfortunately representatives of the local pond-life last night chose to exercise their rights of freedom of expression by making two holes either side of the lock in the passenger door in order to check that I'm not so stupid as to leave the front panel of the radio/cd anywhere in the car when I park it.

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a

1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.) Thus I have wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic metal' type of product and applying some touch-up paint would be effective (the lock & door still work) or whether I'd just be being a crazy cheapskate.
Reply to
stejonda

worth. (I

Saying the following in the absence of seeing the damage....

Speaking with one of my trade hats on, you're a skin-flint , OTOH and depending on the size of holes, if all you want to do is mask the damage then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't effect a 'repair' using some form of filler.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I tend not to lock my car because it's not worth stealing. My brother used to do the same with his Lotus Elan on the basis that if someone was going to try steal it they could just slash the top anyway.

I'd weld a patch behind the hole with my trusty MIG (having first cut/beaten/ground out any lumps) and skim it with plastic filler. I am a crazy cheapskate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's a £200 car. Buy a good steering lock, don't leave valuables in the car, fill the holes with filler, prime with a quick spray of top coat from a spray can, and then give it a blast as far as possible all over the door, stopping at convenient features if possible to save paint. The car lock is to avoid the inconvenience of having to walk/replace should someone steal it! I can't see why you've got FC insurance, unless it costs you very little.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

pop down your local breakers and buy a door of the same colour

RT

Reply to
[news]

As is paying for it?

I'd try and find a decent one of the same colour in a scrappie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Different car, but FC was *cheaper* than TPO on our Mondeo. I'm sure that must somehow make sense to the companies concerned.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Open up the holes to a suitable diameter and insert two plastic screw covers/ hole fillers as a selling feature. Retain with a dab of silicone.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Last time I checked TPFT on my old Carlton it wasnt any cheaper than FC . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The risk profile of people who insure their car TPFT is different from those who choose FC - more reckless, thus a higher chance of the insurer paying out on a claim. At some value of the insured car the premiums will cross over.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Ah, well that does make sense then. Especially with full NCB.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Neil Jones

Thanks to all for your responses. :) I'm going to answer all at once rather than blitz the thread with separate little posts.

To ":::Jerry::::" - yes, as far as this car is concerned I am a skinflint. :)

To Rob Morley - A friend also said he'd take the car to a mate with a MIG welder - problem is he's several hundred miles away. I'm also tempted not to bother locking the car any more, at least not when it's parked in that part of sarflunnen.

To Chris Bacon - The problem with a steering lock (I guess you mean one of those things that fit between the steering wheel and a pedal?) is that we have to remember to use it. That takes away some of the convenience and when it's not actually used it's is another thing to nick.

To RT & Dave Plowman - I've just looked into getting a door from a breakers - have been quoted 50 quid for one that's a darker shade of red (burgundy instead of cherry). Not sure that the colour clash matters, tho' SWMBO has expressed horror at the mismatch. Would it be any cheaper I wonder getting that fitted rather than getting the existing door repaired? Think I'll keep looking.

and finally, to Capitol -

whaaaat are you on????? :)

Reply to
stejonda

keep looking :-)

somewhere, there's one out there the right colour, £50 isn't a bad price

RT

Reply to
[news]

But then he'd also have to faff around changing the lock barrels, or carry two different keys. Filling sounds easier.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Not to mention faffing around trying to fit the thing, easy when you've done a few, otherwise there could be all sorts of 'fun' waiting....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

matters,

Cost will probably work out the same, what you save on having the holes repaired will get swallowed up in removing one door and fitting the other and to do the job properly it will mean more paint will be used.

:~)

No comment...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Needle in hay-stack time....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Plastic paddin, liquid metal,. rub down, and spray over the holes, then a bit of T-cut and she's as good as new.

New peugot, anyway ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like that nasty spring-clip thing that goes "ping" and nearly takes your eye out, that I have unpleasant memories from my Cavalier youth.

Reply to
Nick Atty