Repairing leather seats.

Both front seats on the old Rover have got splits in the leather. I've had a couple of quotes to have them sorted, and they seem pretty high to me. It's not a difficult job to remove the cover. It consists of a ribbed central part which is fine, and wide 'bolsters' either side, which is where the splits are.

I'm thinking of unpicking the stitching to remove those side panels and use them as patterns for new leather - I've bought a complete hide from Ebay which looks very good. Slightly too light a grey - but I've used a Woolies colouring kit before with success.

I have an ancient 100 year old hand operated Singer sewing machine. That had no trouble going through four layers of upholstery grade vinyl in the past - so will it be ok with leather? I don't care how long it takes to do the sewing.

Of course to a skilled machinist with the correct machine it would only be a few minutes work. But where to find such a person?

Anyone got any pointers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Saddlemaker /repairer . Possibly found by perusing magazines aimed at the horsey set.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You can get leather specific sewing machine needles. Whether you can get such to fit a black singer era machine I dont know. I managed to sew 12 layers of denim on a tabletop machine, though only just, so I expect yours would do it. Try a scrap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

[...]

Have a quick read through the needle types here

They are happy to provide recommendation on thread as well.

Then, as you suggest, using the pieces you have unpicked lay them flat for a day under some boards with weight on to flatten them, this will help you out when marking and save guessing where the pattern "should" be. Draw the templates from them and mark using taylors chalk around the outside edges a line to follow on the back of your new hide.

Once satisfied where the thread should be positioned when stitching it's not much of a task, albeit longer by hand, to stitch using your machine if you take care.

Alternatively talk to John who has done this work for aeons ! Company: Harrison Trimming Address: 42 Top Dartford Road Hextable Swanley Kent BRA 7SQ Contact: John Harrison Telephone: 01322 662115

Reply to
Nthkentman

Or a surprisingly large choice in yellow pages under Car & Vehicle Upholsterers

Reply to
stuart noble

Leather needles are available for the majority of sewing machines. They (at least usually) have a triangular shape that is sharp and cuts the leather rather than simply pushing through by brute force. Most machines that are better than toys can manage modest thicknesses/layers of leather.

Once sewn on a machine, any re-sewing must be done by hand using the existing holes.

Reply to
polygonum

I've been down that route, and the costs seem excessive. Or at least the ones I've tried in the London area.

I'm not willing to pay several hundred quid for what looks to be a fairly simple job. In the same way as I changed my own boiler. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did wonder about that. Since the replacement panels will be stitched to existing ones. Leather to the centre, but vinyl cloth to the sides.

So are you saying the whole job would have to be hand stitched using the existing holes on the 'old' parts?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If stitching has to be in the same place the second run of the machine could weaken the leather a lot. But as always, there is room for someone who really knows to dive in here.

Reply to
polygonum

Leather needles will work on most machines. Be aware, though, that they are NOT a good idea if sewing on _imitation_ leather.

Using the existing holes is definitely a good idea - extra holes can cause the seam to shred.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Right. The panel I want to replace is leather - but the seat sides and front imitation leather, as is the beading between them. So a 'normal' needle?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - a fresh, new, sturdy one, with a very sharp point.

Reply to
S Viemeister