Repairing glassware

I suppose I should have put a (sic) after "repairing" as reinstatement isn't really the objective here; I'm merely looking for a cosmetic repair that is sufficiently durable. A coloured cylindrical glass vase (that used to belong to my wife's mother, hence the importance attached to it) has broken cleanly about halfway up, so that there are two pieces - a "cup" and a cylinder - that fit perfectly together. The one repair attempt so far was a failure, where the bond simply failed to "take", and the glue residue could be peeled from the sheared surfaces. The glue used has glassware on its list of materials for which it's supposed to be ideal. Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an effective job?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

"Loctite Glass Bond". Clean surfaces, apply, adjust at your leisure, stand in UV light such as sunlight. Scrape off execess carefully with a razor blade.

I have a similar repair that is near-invisible, and has been washed by hand often...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In message , Thomas Prufer writes

I've used that stuff to repair tacky 'crystal' figurines that got damaged in a move.

I found that sunlight through double glazed windows lead to a very long cure time, a PCB transparency exposure unit cured it in minutes, putting the things outside also worked but only on a blue sky day. a fake banknote checker lamp would probably also work.

Fortunately the crystal figurines have long gone so I can't comment on the longevity but it seemed to work well at the time.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I have a 20,000K 250W metal halide lamp (often used to illuminate corals and tropical fish tanks), which generates enough UV to generate ozone, and that cured it very quickly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks to all for the help. :-)

Reply to