Repairing garden wall.

Dog shit under the edge of the capping stone should help

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why not lay the mortar bed .. and insert a few 10mm thick spacers .. that will keep joint line from compressing ... have them deep within .. probably

2" in from brick face and 1" in form rear ... in a staggered row.

I have used small offcuts of tile to do this in the past .... no need to even think about removing them

Reply to
Rick Hughes

He was talking about his lunch.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How much tapping down will this 9" by 9" by 5 brick course high lump of masonry need:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's because you either can't park, or you live in a chavvy neighbourhood where they ram-raid to steal your gnomes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, that's a worse case. You're putting five courses onto freshly wet mortar. Normally a brickie would put one course down, and there would be some delay before it had five on top of it.

However I'd still see five as within reasonable bounds for a one-shot.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Its because the coping stones on the railway bridge fell off onto the track.

Reply to
dennis

I have this mental image of someone trying to use a Jack Russell like a piping bag...

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

I did exactly that nearly forty years ago when an old Ford Anglia (sit up and beg) of mine, hooked the gate edge with the driver's door handle and neatly removed the top five or six courses of brick in one fell lump. I simply made a stiff mix and popped it back on, no problem.

As for the door handle, not a scratch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

Simply stand on a cat.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

sprinkle a few pebbles or whatever into the mortar bed to act as embedded spacers.

Reply to
Steve Walker