Repairing chipped enamel barbecue :(

The other day I took the plunge, and notwithstanding Homebase's 15% promo, took out a second mortgage and bought myself a Weber kettle barbecue. Still not sure of the wisdom of having spent 3-4 times as much as the cheap'n cheerful equivalent but my barbecueing-expert acquaintances assure me that Weber is the only way to go.

Anyway, this morning I went to empty out the ash, but in doing so, managed to drop the bloody thing on the path, resulting in a chip to the enamel around the rim. Those of you living in the North of England may have heard my bellow of anguish.

As the bare steel is now exposed on the rim (an area about the size of my thumbnail) - it's presumably going to rust in short order, and so needs fixing pronto. Given the high temperatures involved, how best to do this, please? Done some googling and found some expensive 'Porc-a-fix' stuff which looks the part

or ) however have seen a review which says it's rubbery and falls off.

Not too concerned about cosmetics, but I do want something which will stop the barbecue from corroding.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

Don't try and 'fix' it. Just give the exposed metal a quick squirt of WD40 every now and again. It'll last for years.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I always think of barbecues as consumables. I just leave them out till they fall to bits then take the steel for recycling. The rust won't do any harm. Though you might think it unsightly I suppose.

Two years ago I bought a stainless steel barbie. I was sceptical but, left out as usual, it is still fine. I can see at least another five years out of it.

Reply to
Peter Scott

In article , Lobster writes

Primer and radiator paint? Might not be heat-resistant enough.

Repair kit for chips in cast-iron baths?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Go to a car dealer and get some brake or exhaust paint.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Ha, me too...! I just never get around to buying a cover for them. I used to buy a cheapie one every spring until I realised that I only ever used it twice each summer. Usually twice in the same week, so I didn't have to clean it much in between. Now I just buy those disposable foil trays full of charcoal with mesh on top if I feel the need for some burnt food and E-Coli. They're only a couple of quid in the Co-op whicch makes me feel like I've saved money when I don't use them & throw them out in October, compared to a

50 quid BBQ.
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Try an auto parts store and look for high temp paint like used for exhaust manifolds. They should have black in stock and after you give the BBQ a quick squirt and turn it away from you, you will never notice the chip.

Reply to
Roger

I've tried them but I find the food is too close to the charcoal, so it burns on the outside and is raw inside, with the broken teeth and exploding gut that you describe. You need a good and variable gap to control the cooking, especially if you cook chicken or thickish pork. I recommend a stainless one. I think I paid 30 quid at Focus. It's going to cost me less than a fiver a year at present rate of decay.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Season it as you would an iron frying pan? Cover in oil, and heat it up.

Reply to
djc

Lobster wrote: [snip]

Use the paint sold for chimneys (and barbecues) it will work fine. Examples are Hycote VHT, Hammerite Barbecue paint and Rustins high heat paint.

I've had the same Weber barbecue for 18 years, they're worth the extra money IMO.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm very OCD (anal isn't perhaps the right word!) about food poisoning and I always cook meat first indoors (so it's cooked in the middle), then just finish it off on the charcoal. It's well cooked and has the BBQ taste and colour. And the best part about disposables is you don't have to clean the BBQ afterwards.

A good tip if you go to someone else's BBQ is to get there early and eat on arrival... we went to one last year and ate straight away. Once the booze started flowing, the meat hygeine got a little slapdash (to say the least), and everyone who ate late, spent the next 3 days in a hell of a state.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8