Repairing ceiling

We're about to refurb a 9' x 7' bathroom including removing polystyrene tiles from the ceiling. I anticipate the ceiling surface is going to require some making good, and I'm wondering what would be the cheapest option. I'm no good at papering ceilings. Is there some kind of easy to apply texture type stuff which will look ok?

Thanks truman ........

Reply to
truman

It depends on what the ceiling is made from originally. If it's an older property with lath and plaster, then it may be easier to pull the whole thing down, very dusty and dirty job, and replace it with brand new plasterboard. This is easily covered with paint after any seams are sealed.

If the ceiling is already plasterboard, then scraping old poly' tiles off is going to damage the surface no matter what you do. Then I'd say your only option is to pull it all off and replace it with new.

Reply to
BigWallop

I would wait until you have the tiles down. Try steam and water as for wallpaper. You may find that if there is minor damage only then you can fill and paint. If more, then replace as per the other post. Tryt an experiment on a few square feet first if you do not want to embark on the whole lot at once.

Replacing the ceiling is a bit drastic - you could think about getting someone in just to put lining paper on the ceiling - a lot cheaper and less work than replacing it.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Thanks for the comments guys. I have now taken off some of the tiles, and the ceiling is very sound but artexed. The patches of tile cement come off ok but so does the artex that they are stuck to. So I am ending up with a patchy artexed ceiling. It does not seem to be the water soluble type artex. Is there some way to get it off cleanly, or should I consider leaving it on and getting the patchy surface plaster skimmed? Thanks for any thoughts.

chintzy ........

Reply to
truman

Artex is one of these textures that either grips or it doesn't, so you could end up picking most of it off quite easily but bits will have a good hold and start to bring the rest of the original plaster with it. So, my advice is to have a thin skim placed over the top and get it all smooth again.

Reply to
BigWallop