Repairing cat damage to leather sofa

Firstly, please don't suggest disposing of the cat as that is not an option.

The damage consists of a few puncture holes and small triangular areas where the top surface of the leather has been lifted off. It looks like it could be stuck down again with some kind of glue and then a bit of shoe polish or something similar should hide it. Any ideas what kind of glue to use, or any other suggestions on how to repair the damage?

Thanks

Fergal

Reply to
Fergal

Can't recommend a glue for you, but be very careful if you use something like shoe polish to hide it, cos it can come off onto lighter coloured fabrics for ages afterwards, specially given that the polish will presumably be worked into the gap around the repair and the more absorbant stuff under the shiny top surface.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

I always believed that cats did not DELIBERATELY damage leather furniture in the way that they do to fabrics ( using it as a scratching post ). Thats why I bought a leather suite . Its probably happened when the cat has jumped up on the furniture . Make sure that your cats claws are trimmed back . Go to your vet and buy a pair of clippers and ask them to show you the correct way to trim the claws - in other words,watch for the blood vessels in the claw . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

That's what we thought, but for one of our cats it's not the case. This cat is usually kept out of the lounge unless we're in there as she has attempted to do this before but we've stopped her just in time.

Reply to
Fergal

No. If I knew I might have tried on our ancient hide chairs which were re-textured by two tiny, ridiculously fluffy, lumps of fur with the sharpest needles possible hidden among the fluff.

Their owner (a son) didn't keep them long ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A friend who works with leather suggested "Copydex" glue for simple repairs, and it does seem stick leather to leather quite well, whilst staying flexible. Used it to fix a small rip in a leather computer-type chair, by sticking a patch under the split.

For the holes, there is a leather filler (and dye) for the harder type leathers, like those sound in car seats, but I don't know if it would be any good for the soft "Italian" style leathers that most modern sofas seem to be made of.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

That's the name I have been trying to think of all afternoon :-)

Copydex sticks any sort of absorbent surface together, including leather.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No Vet in the UK will (if they value their certificate to practice) show you how to do this. It is an American abomination and quite rightly banned by the RCVM.

Reply to
Peter Parry

You appear to be confusing trimming claws with declawing and you've also snipped the bit about being sure to watch out for the blood vessels which made it perfectly clear what was being referred to. I presume you clip your fingernails? A cat's claw is no different. I do my three cats claws every couple of weeks.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks Dave ,Glad to see someone knows what I meant although it was pretty clear in my estimation. :-) Stuat

Reply to
Stuart

Not really, they achieve similar effects (although I agree declawing is by far the more barbarous). Cats need their claws to fight, escape and climb. Whether trimmed or declawed if they are allowed out either procedure severely limits their ability to escape or defend themselves. If you have cats which live indoors all the time it is somewhat different. For a roaming cat either procedures carried out by a Vet is considered by the RCVM to be professional misconduct.

The physiology of cats claw is entirely different. The cats claw does not grow as a primates nail does but in a laminar fashion. The only time any form of treatment is needed is if it is kept indoors all the time with no access to somewhere it can scratch to delaminate the growing claw.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'm a primate and my nails are laminated ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I get that. And then it suddenly surfaces in the middle of another conversation, you say, "I know, it was Copydex!" and get looked at funny.

How would it work for your lips? Virtually speaking, of course.

Fuck off, Harry.

Reply to
Z. D. Andre

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

Do you think it will hold your brain inside your head?

Reply to
The Right Rev. Peter Parsnip