Repairing broken bricks

I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where the brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What do you suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

John

Reply to
john

I tried cement mortar with a good proportion of powdered red brick to get the colour approximately right.

bland

Reply to
bland

Mmmm - I was hoping to find an adhesive that wouldn't add any thickness - just to stick the pieces back

Reply to
john

Epoxy will hold them, but won't stop them from breaking again, depending on why they broke in the first place - if they are soft then the bond will be stronger than the brickwork and they will crumble, if it's water damage they can just freeze and pop off again ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

In what way are they broken? Couldn't you use araldite, or poxy resin? A tin of polyester resin as used in car body repairs?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Use an epoxy resin i.e. Araldite. Clean the loose dust etc of th bricks and they should stick ok. I used to buy "special" bricks lik doglegs from a firm that made them by cutting and glueing with epoxy

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Any kind of resin glue, epoxy, polyester. Or grind a slot and turn the break into a new mortar joint.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

try using clear silicon

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

No need to mess about with araldite or epoxy.

Just use clear silicone.

The traditional way is a blob or mortar and brick dust, but effectiveness in terms of blending in depends on the type of brick.

Reply to
dg