Repairing "Blown" Double Glazing

I was about to get some double glazed panes replaced since they have developed condensation. A friend has pointed me at a firm called Crystalclear. This firm claims to be able to repair such windows at some fraction of the cost of replacement.

Any direct experiences, please?

Naffer

Reply to
naffer

I dont have experience but looked into this myself and the conclusion was, the fix is short lived and not much cheaper than getting replacement glass units. Others will comment with more accurate info.

Reply to
SS

Not of this company. However it is quite simple to replace the actual glazing with new glass, which I guess is what they do.

Reply to
Mark

Yes, all they do is replace the glazing.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Looks more like they reckon they can fix existing units. There was a thread a little while back about this sort of thing and not a lot of positive comments were forthcoming. I have no personal knowledge.

Invisible Man

I think any glazier will take the unit apart, clean up the glass (condensation inside eventually leaves dirty deposits), and fit new dessicant spacers and tape.

You save the cost of new glass, at the expense of cleaning it. If it's toughened and/or K-glass, that's probably going to be worth it.

Glazier is required to check that the glass meets current standards for safety (which might mean you can't reuse existing glass), but it doesn't need to meet current standards for efficiency, only those in place when it was installed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel