Repairing an electric oven?

Hi All,

A friend of mine in Thamsmede has a Zanussi Model ZBF 860 electric oven and it seems the main element and possibly fan have stopped working (the light and grill and clock are ok).

An 'electrician' told her you couldn't get the parts for them, they were difficult to repair and to get a new one (and then we have all the extra Corgi nonsense with the gas hob). ;-(

A quick google shows elements at around £20-£35 and I assume once you have found the connections / fittings fairly easy to swap?

I assume it could even be (more likely to be?) the oven stat?

Any thoughts please and if it is 'dooable' anyone local fancy a job?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

If all goes well it will be a very quick and easy job. I would recommend having one of those long nose pliars on hand in case the element electrical contacts come off before you get them into the oven compartment, to disconnect them. If they come off before you get them into the oven compartment, it means removing the oven, just to get at two push fit connections.

As the element has gone, remove the busted element and pull it out so it can be completely disconnected. Fitting a new one will just be two push fit connections and two screws to be inserted.

Reply to
EricP

Hi and thanks very much for that Eric,

Out of interest, is this from experience on *this* model (or range of models) or electric ovens in general please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If you know this model how easy would it be to get to the oven stat (to test it before ordering the element)?

Reply to
T i m

It's practical, certainly. As to how easy it is, then that depends on the condition of the old oven. If it will dismantle, then it's easy. If every screw is rusted up, needing to be drilled and replaced, then it's much more work (but still achievable).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

One can find out where the fault is with a multimeter. Parts replacement isnt too tricky usually, and =A320-30 sounds about the usual for new parts.

Local to where?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I looked at the element and it's bog standard for an oven. That's why I suggested removing the old busted on now. If you can get it out, then new one is obviously a very easy replacement.

Ovens are subject to stupid mistakes like removing the screws to free the element, pulling it foward and catching one or both of the supply wires on the edge of the frame and leaving them inside the oven. Hence the slim nosed pliers.

I have never had to get involved with stats. Sorry. Just lights and elements. :)

If you remove the old element a multimeter across it should give an idea if it has gone.

HTH

Reply to
EricP

Sri, Thamesmede, Nr Greenwich, Londinium ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I guess the oven is about 5 years old (as is the house) butI appreciate that means little re the condition of the oven. ;-(

If it will dismantle, then it's easy. If

Ok, let's hope it doesn't come to that because I know her limits ;-)

Mind you, she diagnosed, ordered the replacement and fitted the new water selector mech thingy on her washing machine by (my) remote control a while ago so anythings possible ;-)

All the best Andy ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok, makes sense ;-)

Undestood, been there fished that out ;-)

Indeed .. and we are looking for (to all intents and purposes) a short cct (or pretty low resistance) across the ends of the elements and open cct between them and earth.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m