Repairing a pond liner

To save the bother of removing the whole liner, I wish to repair a small cut in my pond liner.

I've looked up how to do it, but there are two methods depending if it's rubber or PVC based.

How do I tell which it is as I can't locate the receipt for it's purchase.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

cut in my pond liner.

rubber or PVC based.

Very different feel of materials, pvc is smooth glossy with almost no give , rubber of various kinds, will be realtively thick with a textured surface and will have some returning stretch.

Ignition test, scrap of PVC will burn easily, rubber will take a bit more ignition and have distinctive burning rubber smell.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

in my pond liner.

rubber or PVC based.

PVC is thermoplastic, rubber isn't. So for example a soldering iron will melt an obvious hole. Apply a hot air gun and stretch and again the PVC will melt long before it degrades.

Reply to
newshound

in my pond liner.

rubber or PVC based.

Thanks.

Another question - when I put this one in, it said to push it into the shape of the pond then fill with water. I remember doing one a long time ago (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight across the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the water stretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked). Have they started making them non-stretchable?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

ote:

ll cut in my pond liner.

's rubber or PVC based.

ape of the pond then fill with water. =A0I remember doing one a long time a= go (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight across = the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the water s= tretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked). =A0Have they started m= aking them non-stretchable?

That would be a rubber, there are a few variants , liner that will stretch to an extent into contours.

PVC just won`t, it needs folded into curves.

PVC has several problems with lifespan, the cost of the liner is a very small part of the investment over time in a pond.

Decent liner with a decent getextile underliner will save *loads* of grief.

Adam Aglionby

cut in my pond liner.

rubber or PVC based.

of the pond then fill with water. I remember doing one a long time ago (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight across the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the water stretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked). Have they started making them non-stretchable?

so rubber IS still available. I'll bear that in mind next time. Although the original one I remember doing that DID stretch well I'm sure felt like PVC. It was just a basic liner from a DIY store - Focus probably.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

ote:

small cut in my pond liner.

it's rubber or PVC based.

shape of the pond then fill with water. =A0I remember doing one a long tim= e ago (which I'm sure was also PVC), which told me to stretch it tight acro= ss the pond and weight the edges with stones, then fill it and let the wate= r stretch it into the shape (I did that and it worked). =A0Have they starte= d making them non-stretchable?

Its always been available, but a range of grades and prices and things like EPDM appearing. Clay and concrete are largely what butyl replaced, but for art in concrete Pulhamite:

.=A0I'll bear that in mind next time. =A0Although the original one I remem= ber doing that DID stretch well I'm sure felt like PVC. =A0It was just a ba= sic liner from a DIY store - Focus probably.

One place gives 300% stretch on their PVC , so mebbe it is. Main problem with it any exposure to sunlight degrades it fast, needs to be completely covered.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Drain the pond down below the area that is damaged to expose the damaged area above water. A submersible pump works great for fast draining. You won't be able to repair the PVC pond liner underwater.

liquidrubberroofing