repairing a kettle

it is not an electric one - It sits on the stove and is heated by direct contact ..So it has a very thick and flat base.It is stainless steel and has sprung a leak where the spout joins the body. Now I imagine that the spout was welded to the body in the manufacturing and the leak seems to be along the seam of the join... Now I suppose I could get it rewelded but I have no such skills or acquaintances with those skills so it may have to be done another way. If I put chemical metal along the seam this would need to be done externally as the seem inside the kettle is inacessible owing to a tea strainer like covering (you know like what you see in a tea pot to prevent the worst of the tea leaves being pored out) So if I am going to block up the seam on the outside I am going to have to do it quite well (since it is stanless steel the surface is very smooth so I might have to roughen it)

So has anyone a better idea than to put a line of chemical metal along the seam on the outside? As the leak only really starts when the kettle is almost half full I have a feeling that the pressure may not be really strong and so maybe a careful job will fix it without the need for welding or dismantling (but I would like to use something a little better than chemical metal if that was possible)

Reply to
meuharris

Clean the area with descaling fluid and then use slow setting araldite epoxy allow to harden in a warm not hot place( otherwise it runs). Roughening the surface will help the bond.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

thanks.Actually are you sure about the descaling fluid? As it is stainless steel and I hope to be appllying whatever it is on the outside I don't imagine there would be any hard water deposits at all (we have peaty soil here anyway so I think the water must be super soft) I will take your advice about the slow setting araldite though as it seems like it would be a lot neater than chemical metal along a narrow seam..

Reply to
meuharris

thanks I will have a look at them

Reply to