Repairing a bit of blown plaster

Any suggestions for a simple ready to use filler. I need to dig out an area of blown plaster - about 12" x 18" and fill it, woodchip paper and paint it ready for a sale viewing.

Any suggestions for a decent filler? I have some One Coat Plaster but not sure if this is appropriate to buld up from the bricks to the surface.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

if being woodchipped wither gule the plaster back with PVA or rip it out and use bonding plaster

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the blown plaster is still in place, you might be able to fix it. Get a syringe from the chemist (without needle), carefully make some holes through the plaster at the top, and inject diluted PVA, so it runs down the gap between plaster and wall, and then use a piece of ply or other flat object to push against the area to keep it flat and against the wall while the PVA sets, proped up by a piece of timber or similar leaning against it.

You will still need to polyfiller any cracks around the blown area, but that's much easier than replastering unless you are already familiar with plastering.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Suck it and see. Worst case is you might need 2 coats with a day or so in between

Reply to
stuart noble

How thick does the plaster need to be to fill the hole? If it's a similar depth to the thickness of plasterboard, I'd be inclined to glue a piece of plasterboard in place, and fill round the edges with pollyfilla.

If that's not practical, first apply bonding plaster, and use a straight piece of wood to get it level with the surrounding plaster. Then, if the surface isn't smooth enough to take woodchip, apply a very thin layer of polyfilla and, if necessary, sand it flat when set.

Or, as others have said, if the blown plaster is still in place, inject some PVA behind it and apply pressure to push it back onto the brickwork.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

The paper is a mess - not sure I could do it neatly enough. The plasterboard idea is appealing - I have some thin PB.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Any filler at all will do it. I've even filled wall holes with rice powder when I ran out once. Seriously, it doesnt matter what sort you use.

  • Ones only intended to be applied in very thin layers crack on drying. Applying the next layer fills the cracks ok.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I once used dried milk to make a casein paint. Worked beautifully but stank to high heaven when it got damp

Reply to
stuart noble