Repair radiator

I've got a large radiator in the lounge that is leaking (weeping more like) from the bleed value on the top. The whole valve is pretty rusty. Any way of repairing this or is it a case of replacing the whole thing? Maybe scraping all the rust off and coating the whole value in something of thick gunk that dries and seals the value.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Two ways. The right way. Drain system. Unscrew valve. Clean with wire-brush, add tape/plumbers mait. Screw back together. If it is not good enough to repair, replace.

You have tried tightening it a bit?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Depends to some extent on what sort of bleed valve/screw you've got.

Some radiators simply have a very small threaded hole in the radiator itself into which a pointed "pin" with a square end screws. With this sort, you just have to make sure that this pin is screwed in tightly, using a bleed key.

Some radiators have a larger threaded hole in the end - into which a "bleed assembly" screws - consisting of a body with a separate bleed pin in the middle. The outer thread on these bleed assemblies is usually either 1/8" BSP or 1/2" BSP. Sometimes, you might have a 1/8" BSP bleed assembly screwed into a 1/8-1/2 adaptor, in turn screwed into a 1/2" BSP boss in the radiator.

If you have a removeable valve assembly (and I suspect that you have) you can remove the whole thing - having first turned off *both* radiator valves. You can then clean up the external and internal threads with some wire wool, and re-assemble it - using PTFE tape on the threads to seal it.

Note: If your system has been balanced make a note of how many turns are required to close the lockshield valve (the one without a handwheel) so that you can put it back to the same position when you have finished.

Reply to
Set Square

Whatever for? If you turn off *both* radiator valves you can safely remove the bleed assembly with very little spillage. Why make more work than necessary?

Reply to
Set Square

Because I overlooked the bleeding obvious :) Of course you don't need to drain the system if you do that. Sigh.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Quite why I kept typing value instead of valve worries me :-) I'll have a got at removing and cleaning up the valve but it's got pretty rusty so not sure I'll be able to get it released. I'll have a go.

Also discovered that the radiator down in the cellar has got bashed/dinted at some point and is also leaking. Ho hum, don't these things fail in threes?

Can you buy second hand radiators? Seems a waste to buy a brand new one for just the cellar.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

It's one of those things. Valve seems to be very commonly mispelt value on usenet. I've never worked out why, but I've done it myself many times.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've just replaced several, and have the old ones spare (generally single rads without fins).

Where are you? You're welcome to one or more of my old ones if you can pick them up (Leicestershire). Contact via e-mail if you're interested.

Reply to
Matthew Newton