Repair of old Alvis window winder mechanism.

A friend of a friend has asked for some advice regarding the above. I don't have any details of the car except that it's a very old Alvis, I have seen the mechanism which has 5 entrained cog wheels, 2 springs all mounted on steel plate which I assume is bolted within the door. Generally it looks in reasonable condition, however one of the cog wheels is partially stripped and needs replacing or rebuilding.

Does anyone know of a firm or a hobby machinist who can do this kind of repair.

Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

This very question was jsut addressed in the making a gear thread

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Don:- Can you get the dimensions of the gear (thickness, outside diameter, number of teeth)? That'll let people know enough to see if they have the right gear cutters to do the job.

I'm assuming that it will be an Imperial Diametral Pitch, 14.5degree Pressure Angle gear, due to the age and origin.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Rather depending on what is exactly needed, I can probably help make a new one.

Regards snipped-for-privacy@hotmmail.com

Reply to
Drawfiler

Worst case just do like a mate of mine did with his Raglan Little John, he filed a new rack by hand, in your case file the gear by hand and if done with care it'll likely outlive you as the original is likely somewhat older.

Reply to
David Billington

Have you looked on HPC gears website to see if they do one:

can download their technical indexes from:
you have difficulty finding what you want, there's also a technical enqiry form on that page for downloading in pdf format that you can fill in and send to them or you can ring them on 01246268080 They also do custom made gears but these would be expensive.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Just because he drives an Alvis doesn't mean he can afford HPC's prices!

Last time I nearly bought something from the HPC catalogue I found it was actually cheaper to have it made for me (Llewellin's in Bristol).

Reply to
Andy Dingley